Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Gaining weight on PB! page

dallytante is offline Member

Help! Gaining weight on PB!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

I'm a vegetarian doing primal. I eat a ton of eggs, avocados and drink whey protein shakes (healthy ones) to up my protein intake. I've been gaining weight the past two weeks and finally clocked in my meal plan--2700 calories. Before primal, I was watching myself at 1300 calories, which included a huge high-fiber pasta dinner that filled me up. Am I the only one here that's having problems on this diet? I feel huge. I've gone from 133 to 140, when I was trying to get down to 125. I'm afraid to exercise at this point for fear of revving up my appetite. I don't understand and could really use some suggestions. Thanks.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Why are you eating so many calories? Is it because you are hungry? Could you post a better breakdown of what you are eating in a day?

Many people don't do well with protein shakes during weight loss - particularly whey protein.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

dallytante is offline Member
    The bulk of the calories: 1.5 avocados, 1/2 cup macademia nuts, 60g shredded coconut, 7 eggs, 1Tbs butter, 1/2 protein shake, veggies (mushrooms, spinach, red pepper, zucchini), a bit of coconut milk.

I'm fine during the day but get hungry at night...I just don't seem to feel energized by this diet (I was doing raw before, but didn't like the sugar cravings). I don't crave sugar, but there's a part of me that isn't satisfied somehow--I'm not sure. I've been aware of my eating for a long time, so I'm not inclined to say it's psychological, but maybe? And if I'm gaining, am I to blame? And if I lose on a conventional low diet, isn't lost weight healthier? I'm not trying to poo-poo the idea, I just fee horrible uncomfortable in my skin and clothing at the moment.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Unlikely that you've gained 7lbs of fat in 2 weeks, so most probably water weight. I would say you are eating too many calories for weight loss, yes, but it's early days and you may find your weight start to drop a bit from now on. Many people experience sudden weight gain when major changes are made.
    Many people have posted at length about this, you may find this thread useful...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread47506.html

Please try to think of the PB as the long-term track to optimal health, and not a fast track to shedding those last few pounds. Many people who come at it from this angle leave disappointed. At 133 pounds, unless you're very short, you're not anywhere near big enough to experience the rapid weight loss of a 250lb-er who just turned Primal. My instinct and experience tells me that getting your calories around 1500 (primally) and living an active life will bring you down to your goals, but even then this may take time.
    Last edited by Englishman in Oz; 02-14-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    So you're basically eating loads more and not doing much exercise? Macro nutrient adjustments (eating low carb, high protein and fat) do not magically alter things - you cannot escape the calorie intake issue. Eat a bit less and do a bit more.

aikidochris is offline Member
    Sorry to be seemingly unhelpful but this ^ is spot on

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused about why you don't 'understand' the gain. You went from 1300 cal at which I assume you were maintaining your weight to 2700, basically doubling your intake. That will naturally result in weight gain; the body stores excess.

You are a small person, and if you're maintaining at 1300 cal, you need to eat below that level to lose. If you were losing at 1300 cal, then you need to stay at that level.

Those macadamia nuts aren't helpful if you're trying to lose, and I think that the shakes are probably not satisfying your hunger. I know that I tend to crave 'real food,' and that's why I avoid shakes.

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    meat

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    I'm of the view that if something ain't working' for you after you tried it, well, the proof is in the pudding. Are you getting enough protein? Would you be open to eating fish? I've been a vegetarian (no meat, no eggs but with dairy) pretty much since I was a child but started eating some fish because as I am getting older, I am feeling the effects of lack of nutrition a lot more. Since adding fish to my diet and eliminating processed foods I feel better. I find whey protein to trigger hunger in me- perhaps due to its high insulogenic effect. Whey protein powder is also not a real food. Could you try substituting that for cottage cheese, yogurt or goat cheese instead? If you are not eating any meat at all including fish, you need to at least include some dairy.

Having said that, I think we need more information about what you are eating but I have a suspicion you are eating too much fat and not enough of other nourishing food. Constant hunger and cravings is your body's way of telling you it is lacking something. It seems you are within a healthy weight range if your original goal was within a 10lb weight loss. Are you doing very low carb? From my experience I can tell you low carb is not for everyone. Perhaps add some more healthy starches to help you with satiety- like potato, sweet potato, squashes, root vegetables, white rice. When you are within a healthy weight range, I think low carb can actually be counterproductive. You can eat good starches and still be within the 50-100g sweet spot for weight loss. Mark said he thinks 80g is the optimal amount. Chris Kressler and Paul Jaminet (the latter of the Perfect Health Diet) say that carbs from non-starchy vegetables (like leafy greens) don't count because you use more glucose to digest them than they provide. Something to think about when figuring out your carb needs. I know I feel so much better after I added back some starch to my diet.

I said this before, but this is key- make sure you are getting enough protein. Also, from the little information you gave us, it seems you are eating too much fat which is very energy dense. When you are trying to lose the last 5-15 lbs, I think calorie restriction is more important than ever because your body doesn't want to lose its fat stores at that stage. Try substituting the fat for more protein and more good starch, I think that might help with getting you fuller and reduce calorie intake. Are you eating too many nuts? Nuts will take you way above your calorie requirements right quick.

If your body is used to getting exercise and suddenly you decrease the amount with a sudden two-fold increase in caloric intake, it's really no wonder you are gaining weight. I do agree that "chronic cardio" is not that good for you body, but perhaps take up strength training?

To get around full circle to my original point, if it ain't workin' for ya, well, you know what to do. I'm of the belief that everyone is different and has different metabolic issues and tolerances. However, cutting out processed foods (whey protein powder is a processed food, btw) and eating a wide range of nourishing whole foods can't really go wrong in getting you more healthy and energetic. If you want weight loss beyond your body's homeostasis, you really need to restrict calories below maintenance, but do it in a healthy and balanced way. Don't listen to the folks that advocate extremes- whether very low carb, too much fat etc- unless you have a specific health reason for which it would make sense. Listen to your body- it knows what it needs better than anyone on these forums.

Some interesting reading for food for thought:
    Perfect Health Diet Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version
    Perfect Health Diet The Diet
    Last edited by Fiji; 02-15-2012 at 07:32 AM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    So you're basically eating loads more and not doing much exercise? Macro nutrient adjustments (eating low carb, high protein and fat) do not magically alter things - you cannot escape the calorie intake issue. Eat a bit less and do a bit more.
    / end thread
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast