Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: Supplements for Energy page

jammies is offline Senior Member

RE: Supplements for Energy

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone;

Although primal has improved my energy immensely, I still struggle with low energy (I have autoimmune arthritis). Does anyone have any suggestions for a supplement they have tried that really boosted energy levels?

I take vitamin D, magnesium, potassium, and occasional b vitamins I am about to place an order with iherb for my usual supplements, soap and conditioner.....thought I'd just add anything in if anyone has any thoughts

Thanks!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I think you will see a good thread pointing to iodine.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I think you will see a good thread pointing to iodine.
    Ooopps....I forgot about iodine. I do have a supplement that I use occasionally, but as of late have been eating wakame a few times a week in lieu of the supplement. Too much iodine causes pretty significant agitation and irritability for me, so I am going to try to stick with the food sources for now.

Thanks!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

LolaLola is offline Member
    A good B Complex vitamin & Co-Enzyme Q-10 have definitely helped my energy levels.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Jammies,
    How much Vitamin D3 are you taking? Most folks need 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 to maintain an optimal 25ohD blood level of 70 to 100 ng/ml. You should also be eating seaweed 3 times a week (per Dr. Kruse) or else take a 1 mg Kelp seaweed capsule daily (per Dr. Davis).

Grizz

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Talk about supplements just kind of makes me cringe. Just because Mark sells them, doesn't mean they're appropriate for anyone to consume. Why not research foods that contain these vitamins and minerals and makes sure you consume them at good intervals? From what I've read, in most cases apart from acute deficiencies supplementation does not actually improve health. Getting vitamins and minerals from food is also the most bio-available and least processed form. If you're not eating organ meats, you really should be. I didn't like the taste at first either, but now I crave them every week because of how they make me feel. Eating 6-12 ounces of liver, for example, gives me a noticeable energy boost for about 72 hours. Adding some ground beef heart (tastes like beef but a little chewier) to some hamburger meat once a week is a great way to get started. Someone said vitamin B and co-enzyme 10 helped them, that's how you get them cheap and effectively for probably about the same cost per serving as supplements.
    Last edited by PeaceCorpsCaveMan; 02-15-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
    Talk about supplements just kind of makes me cringe. Just because Mark sells them, doesn't mean they're appropriate for anyone to consume. Why not research foods that contain these vitamins and minerals and makes sure you consume them at good intervals? From what I've read, in most cases apart from acute deficiencies supplementation does not actually improve health. Getting vitamins and minerals from food is also the most bio-available and least processed form. If you're not eating organ meats, you really should be. I didn't like the taste at first either, but now I crave them every week because of how they make me feel. Eating 6-12 ounces of liver, for example, gives me a noticeable energy boost for about 72 hours. Adding some ground beef heart (tastes like beef but a little chewier) to some hamburger meat once a week is a great way to get started. Someone said vitamin B and co-enzyme 10 helped them, that's how you get them cheap and effectively for probably about the same cost per serving as supplements.
    I agree with you 100% on this. I really do. But I eat bone stocks, liver, marrow, oysters, brazil nuts, and seaweed to get micronutrients that would be lacking in a muscle meat diet. (I occasionally eat heart - but I don't see that much nutrition in heart compared to muscle meat - am I missing something?) These foods have made an immense difference in my health. But the sad fact for me is that I am still not at a normal energy level.

Some things I need to supplement. No matter how much potassium rich food I eat, I just can't keep in enough potassium and I need a supplement to feel good. Same with magnesium. I am happy with my progress, but I really want to feel normal and have some energy, so I'm willing to try supplements that have helped others.

Thanks for the feedback though. I could not agree more that food sources are far and away the best option. The rat studies comparing liver intake to B vitamins are a very convincing argument for whole foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Jammies,
    How much Vitamin D3 are you taking? Most folks need 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 to maintain an optimal 25ohD blood level of 70 to 100 ng/ml. You should also be eating seaweed 3 times a week (per Dr. Kruse) or else take a 1 mg Kelp seaweed capsule daily (per Dr. Davis).

Grizz
    Thanks Grizz. I test vitamin D regularly and keep my levels in the 70's. I also eat seaweed at least a few times per week. Both of these have helped me a lot. Still room for improvement though.

Quote Originally Posted by LolaLola View Post
    A good B Complex vitamin & Co-Enzyme Q-10 have definitely helped my energy levels.
    I have heard about CQ10 - but haven't tried it. Did you try it because you were on a statin? Or just for energy purposes?

tarek is offline Senior Member
    First of all, make sure you're going to bed at a good hour and waking up at a good hour. I've often made the mistake of blaming diet for fatigue when I was going to bed at 2:00 AM and waking up at 12:00 PM.

If you're already eating a nutrient-dense diet, maybe it's not an issue of deficiency. Cut out any cacao or coffee you're consuming. Try cutting out unsprouted nuts and dairy. I've found that all of those can lead to sluggishness and fatigue in some form or another for me.

How often do you exercise? You could either be overdoing it or underdoing it -- either one can lead to a lack of energy. Spend more time outdoors, less time sitting, and more time in sunlight. I know it sounds redundant, but these are really easy to overlook.

In any case, if you're looking for something to simply "boost" your energy levels, I suggest looking into maca and several other "superfoods" that are touted by raw foodists. Many of them have very interesting properties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast