Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pate? page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Pate?

Primal Fuel
    So I bought pate from Trader Joe's the other day. I had seen it there for months but never bought it, and one day I finally worked up the courage and---oh my GOD it was the most disgusting thing I've eaten in a loooooooong time. Tasted just the way canned dog food smells, even has that gel on top...is there a reason everyone else seems to like it and a way I can?? I was hoping to like it so that I'd get some organ meats in my diet :/

camel is offline Senior Member
    LOL, thats too bad! I had it for the first time in Kindergarten and it was presented as a special "picnic" food with crackers. I've loved it ever since. The "gel" is full of gelatin and is very good for you too, though some people can't get over savory jello
    I don't know how you would acquire a taste for it, other than keep trying. Inside celery maybe? on slices of cheese? I like it straight up, but it reminds me of when I ate it on soft bagguette

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Ha ha, I love it too, but sometimes the bought stuff can be pretty disgusting. I suggest you buy a really good one that contains just the basic pate ingredients and try that. I love it on toast (shhh, don't tell anyone) for breakfast.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    How about trying some homemade...

Paleobird's recipe is a huge hit! And its not a "gel" type recipe, so that might help.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34322.html

I've eaten organ meats, pate, liver wurst, and various organ/offal meat tureens (head cheese anyone, <3) since childhood sooo... I LOVE them.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

feren6 is offline Member
    Chicken live pate yum...

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I hate liver too. But I really need it in my diet. I have taken to using lamb liver, freezing it, then cutting it in to cubes and taking it like pills. I am a very adventurous eater and have even grown to enjoy bone marrow - but liver just kills me. I can eat a little bit once in a while, but then my gag reflex takes over.

I can eat some pate - but I am egg and dairy free and it usually contains both.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I hate liver too. But I really need it in my diet. I have taken to using lamb liver, freezing it, then cutting it in to cubes and taking it like pills. I am a very adventurous eater and have even grown to enjoy bone marrow - but liver just kills me. I can eat a little bit once in a while, but then my gag reflex takes over.

I can eat some pate - but I am egg and dairy free and it usually contains both.
    That's a really good idea, freezing it and everything! I might do that, thanks

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Find a fancy charcuterie or european deli and see if you can get some foie gras mousse or chicken liver parfait... now THERE is some undeniable yum that is not in the least like dog food.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Why not make your own? It is easy, you can control the proportion of liver in the mix, i.e. make it mainly duck, or pork, rabbit, and if it is a strong flavour (like the duck) you won't even notice the liver. But the nutritional benefit will be there. All you need is a mincer (grinder) and a container to put in the oven. No other special equipment.

Recipes - google duck pate or pork pate or country pate - or I can post my basic method, which I vary according to what main flavour I fancy.

It is also a brilliant vehicle for adding any micro nutrients - a little turmeric, or lots of garlic and thyme and juniper berries etc.

newlife77 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Ok I love pate but all my life I've eaten it on toast or a thick slice of fresh bread!!! Just wondering how u guys eat it now?

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast