Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver Inflammation page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Has anyone had problems with liver inflammation? Another part of my test results show that I have inflammation in the liver and I am trying to figure out/pin point what the causes could be until I see my dr at the next appointment.

This could explain some of the digestive/hormonal issues I have been going through..?

And, I know that others may be wondering why this is posted in the MDA forum but I guess since we are all trying to live primally Id rather have advice/opinions from those from the same background than others that follow CW (cw that goes against PB that is.).

Thanks for listening..

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

Was this diagnosed through elevated levels of whatever they measure through blood tests (ALT/AST or something close to that)?

stop_hammertime Guest

You can cause liver disease by eating a poor diet (high in calories, sugar and fat)

Are you just starting primal?

I went about 6 months eating fast food and prepared food only and I saw a sharp increase in my liver enzymes.

CJ4400 is offline Member

gottaluvalab - yes, this was through a blood test. One possibility that was mentioned was fatty liver? I've been researching on google and I even came across things such as Kombucha reaction in the liver?! Crazy stuff... Although, I *have* been drinking 16oz of Kombucha everyday since December... you never know I guess?

stop_hammertime - I've been primal since last June and have always been on the healthy side; well, "healthy" meaning high fiber foods....

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

I was diagnosed with fatty liver after a couple of poor liver tests followed by an ultrasound. I've read every web page there is, but I haven't had a face-to-face conversation with my doctor about it yet (frankly, I was too upset at yet another diagnosis to push for it at the time, and I was relieved there was no mention of a biopsy!).

My compiled understanding of the issue, given my a diagnosis of diabetes and my weight and etc., is that my liver is full of fat and not functioning optimally... just like the rest of me.

Again, just my understanding from reading--usually a fatty liver just sits there being sluggish and fat, but for a small percentage of people it can take an ugly turn and lead to cirrhosis. Fatty liver can also be caused by alcohol consumption--or it can be both overweight AND alcohol related; I don't know how they determine which is the case, and for me I'm not sure it matters, so I haven't examined it further at the moment.

My doctor's instructions were lose weight slowly, treat cholesterol, and no alcohol (not a rule I've been following strictly, though I've cut back to a couple glasses of wine once a week--this might be a bad choice). I'm sure there will be discussion of it next week when I see him.

I'd be interested in comparing notes with what others' doctors tell them, if anyone is having a similar experience.

CJ4400 is offline Member

I'll definitely let you know if I hear of any news. Probably won't know for a while as I have to wait 6 weeks until I take the blood tests again but hopefully by then a PM'ing system will be available or I can resurrect this thread again...

I *am* curious as to what can be causing this though... will be interesting.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Certainly do.

I don't know if liver inflammation is the same as the silent inflammation we have heard so much about. I know that the liver needs many nutrients, especially glutathione to function properly and if it is beset by toxins in your system it will become damaged. But I don't know what your specific case is.

Maybe look into liver healing herbs in the mean time. Milk thistle and dandelion root have been proven to regenerate and heal the liver, and there really is no downside if you only use them for a few weeks at a time.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

Fatty liver can be treated with lecithin. Do you eat a lot of eggs? I know it seems counterintuitive to suggest eggs to treat "fatty" liver, but they're loaded with lecithin, and we should all be used to things that are counterintuitive before we learn the truth. I like eating things better than taking pills or granules, and my fatty liver disease disappeared when I started eating a lot of eggs. Try to find pasture raised eggs (think: farmer's market).

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I was reading recently that there is no difference between non alcoholic fatty liver and that caused by drinking, apart from cause. You seriously need to stop drinking alcohol (sorry about that). I have heard that Kombucha in some countries contains alcohol, so you probably should stop drinking it too.

Unfortunately you may be advised to do a low fat diet, and I'm no expert here, but after recent reading about low fat diets I'm not sure that would be good advice. Obviously you will probably need to research this more.

I have done a lot of research on milk thistle in the past, and as of late last year there was no reliable research that proved it works (well the research is about as reliable as the research on the benefits of low fat diets!), but as Stabby says, there is no evidence that it does harm either.

I hope your next results are better.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

CJ, Stephan over at WholeHealth did some posting on fatty liver disease a while back. It might provide some insight:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ch/label/liver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast