Thread: Best colourful fruit/veg recipes? page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb Best colourful fruit/veg recipes?

Primal Fuel
    After today's post on colourful fruits and vegetables (Why You Should Eat Brightly Colored Fruits and Vegetables) I thought it might be interesting to see what recipes you guys have for using them.

While I have definitely increased my consumption of greens and GREEN vegetables since primal, my colourful veg intake is not very high (carrots, bell peppers, red onions and tomatoes are about all I can think of as my regular staples...) And my fruit has reduced dramatically. I've never eaten berries even though I know they are a primal staple - and which I can get frozen here where I live - the prohibitive factor being that they are SO expensive compared to the tropical fruits, which are local, cheap and deliciously sweet in comparison. So although I've moved away from fruits, I have not replaced them with berries.

However given available ingredients and the right recipie, I will give anything a go as I'm always keen to try new things. So, if anyone has any idea of tasty recipies, incorporating more of these clourful foods (including berries - though they had better be good as they cost a bomb!) I would love to see em...

(Extra points go to the recipes that use the most colours!) LOL
    Last edited by thaijinx; 02-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Ratatouille!

1 medium onion, chopped
    2 medium bell peppers, cubed (use red/orange/yellow ones)
    2 small or 1 medium zucchini, cubed
    1 small eggplant, cubed
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 medium tomatoes, in chunks
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp marjoram
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp rosemary
    3 tbsp red wine
    1/2 cup tomato juice or tomato puree
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    2 tsp salt
    black pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil
    bunch of parsley, chopped

Heat olive oil in heavy, lidded skillet or other heavy pan. Add crushed garlic, bay leaf, onion, and a bit of salt. Saute over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add eggplant, wine, herbs, and tomato juice/puree and stir well. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes over low heat until eggplant is soft enough to prick with a fork. Add zucchini and peppers, then cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, tomatoes, and tomato paste and mix well. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Before serving, mix in fresh parsley.

I usually serve some meatballs on the side (beef or lamb).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

beastie is offline Member
    If it's veggies like beets, carrots, purple turnips, etc., I usually just roast them in butter or lard - they're delicious that way. I've also made beet "chips" by slicing them thinly then roasting.

If it's eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, etc. I usually make curry - either a Thai coconut milk-based version or an Indian tomato based version, depending on what I have on hand.
    Primal cookery, forgotten skills, natural birth
    www.forgottendomesticarts.com