Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some questions from a newbie. Been sick 6-7 times while following PB page

Mathias is offline Junior Member

Some questions from a newbie. Been sick 6-7 times while following PB

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

First post here. I've been following The Primal Blueprint for about a year now. I can't buy grass-fed or organic foods because it's too expensive, but other than that I've been pretty strict. I would say on an average day the following is what I eat:

-6 eggs
    -Meat or fish
    -Lots of veggies
    -High-fat dairy such as cheese and cream
    -Fruit
    -Nuts

Should also mention that I go out drinking maybe 2-3 times a week, and on each of those days I probably drink about 10 beers (I'm a college student). I don't know how much damage I do here, but I figured since my diet is pretty much within PB other than this, I would be fine?

-My stomach is often upset and my feces is usually not firm, but more towards diarrhea. I can't remember I had this when I was not following PB. Anyone have any idea what this can be caused by?

-How big of an issue is the fact that I can't afford grass-fed meat and organic foods?

-I've found that once I get off PB for a few days (when I'm at places where it's hard to follow the plan) I most likely end up becoming sick. Is it a fact that by following PB and going off for a few days, the immune system goes through some kind of a shock, resulting in me becoming sick?

I appreciate any responses here
    Thanks!

-Mathias

Karma is offline Senior Member
    You need to wash your hands more often. That's the #1 cause of illness (viral / bacterial). 10 beers in a sitting during college usually resulted in beer shits for me the next day. Not rocket science!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    So you're drinking 20-30 beers per week and wondering why you're not feeling well? I'm pretty sure I can identify the cause right there.

Also, beer is loaded with gluten, and that's definitely not primal. One here and there, if you can tolerate gluten okay, then sure, have it as a 20% thing. But you are definitely not within PB at that kind of level of consumption.

Oh, and if you knocked off the massive drinking habit, you could probably afford better food, too. Two problems solved all at once!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Owly beat me to it....if you can afford to buy 20-30 beers each week, you can afford to spend a little extra on quality food. It's all about prioritizing. And honestly if you're drinking that much, I wouldn't worry about whether or not your produce is organic. I get that drinking is a big part of college life for some people, but it sounds like it doesn't agree with you. Take a few weeks off and see how you feel.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

It certainly isn't a good habit, but it's a big part of college, socializing etc. What about replacing beer with other forms of alcohol? Red wine?

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    It certainly isn't a good habit, but it's a big part of college, socializing etc. What about replacing beer with other forms of alcohol? Red wine?
    I replaced old ales and stouts with whiskey on the rocks with a bit of spring water,but I also cut back a lot on my alcohol consumption and limit my drinking to special occasions these days.

What about the low-carb beers? Are they still a big no-no?

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    What about the low-carb beers? Are they still a big no-no?
    No clue,I've never seen the carbs as being the issue with excessive alcohol consumption,it was the hangovers and risk of numerous bad situations that comes with it that made me cut back drastically. I've never woken up with a blistering headache and a dent in my wallet from a huge bar tab and said "Damn those carbohydrates!".I think beer is ok in moderation,which applies to any alcohol really,but a 30 pack a week is just too much imo.I used to brew my own beer,and it was really easy to lose track of how many I was grabbing throughout the week,but that hasn't been an issue since I toned the drinking down and switched over to whiskey.I'll have maybe 5 whiskeys a month now,and all those are within a safe and social context with close friends and family.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Shit, what about drinking half as much then? How is getting wasted three times a week "ok" for someone actively concerned about your health? I get that you're in college, but that doesn't actually HAVE to mean getting falling down wasted multiple times every week. Maybe switch to a hard science major?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

feren6 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm a college student as well and have gone straight to liquor since I can't handle beer anymore. Plus ripping shots is awesome..great alternative to shotgunning a beer and feeling sick.

Anyways, try cutting out dairy and see if that has any affect on you. I personally can't tolerate dairy /too/ well but this could help. And like others said, 30 beers a week is a lot. Try drinking more liquor instead of beer and see what happens

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast