Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: figuring out you low heart rate- need help page

jmosery is offline Member

figuring out you low heart rate- need help

Primal Fuel
    i would like to make sure i'm working at my 55-75% target heart zone

I have a Polar F4 heart rate monitor and I did some spint work and figured my max heart rate at 182 but what is my low? my monitor asks for a high a low

I did an internet search and didnt find anything

anyone know?

im female, 34 yo and 135 lbs if that matters

thanks jaime

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Low might mean your resting HR but I think the high and the low is for setting your target zone. If you go above or below it will beep at you. If you want to use 182 as your max then
    High will be .75*182=136.5
    Low will be .55*182=100
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

oh i thought i put 182 as the high in the heart rate monitor and then work at 75%

because when I workout it tells me my % heart rate so when you input the high low its your "goal" high low?

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm...

I tried to look at the product info for an FT4 (there was no F4 listed, so I assumed a typo) and couldn't find enough to provide you any decent direction. There was a link to a PDF of the the instruction manual, but that link was broken.

Were I doing the HRM route for trying to stay in the 55-75% zone, I'd probably not purchase one so complex. I'd just look for one that simply displayed your heart rate and then did the calculations by hand as described above and monitored as I worked out. But, that's just me...

I'd try what the other poster suggested and put in the calculated 55% and 75% numbers work out to be for min and max and see if it works they way they describe it.

OR try putting in your max (182) for the Max and 0 in for the min. Then if it displays percentages, using the range of 0(0%)-182(100%), as long as the percentage was between 55 and 75, you'd be in the correct training "zone".
    Last edited by tim_1522; 02-14-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

the monitor that I have is the F4, its 15 years old. pretty basic

you put your weight, height, birthday,sex in and it gives you your heart rate, calories burned and % hr

i just wanted to have the % correct.

maybe i'll send Polar an email tomorrow and ask them

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Your minimum heart rate is zero. We all hit it at some point.
    The 55-75% is a percentage of the maximum; the minimum or resting is irrelevant.
    55% of 182 = 100 bpm
    75% of 182 = 137 bpm

If the monitor wants a low for some other calculation I assume that'd be your resting.
    Measure your HR when you wake up in the morning, while still lying in bed.

primal-dan is offline Member
    Jaime - You need to measure your resting heart rate to figure this out. Then subtract resting HR from max HR to get your heart rate reserve.

If your resting heart rate turns out to be 60 bpm, then your heart rate reserve is 182 - 60 = 122 bpm.

55% of 122 = 67
    75% of 122 = 92

Now add your resting heart rate to get the lower and upper limit of the zone. In this example it would be 127 - 152 bpm.

If you just used the simple method to calculate heart rate, and exercise at 100 - 137 bpm, you would only be at 33% - 63%.

It's easiest to just use an online calculator for this. I like this one:
    Target Heart Rate Range

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The online calculator gives me 55% = 129.5 and 75% = 151.5. (Age = 41, resting heart rate = 69)

During interval training, when I occasionally go flat out for a minute on an exercise bike my heart rate gets up to about 145 (calorie output ~ 1000/hr). On a cross trainer, it gets up to about 155 (calorie output ~1400/hr). I have been regarding these high intensity intervals as sprinting. During most of my workout my heart rate is between 115 and 135.

I am very fit with a very good VO2 max. Would this make my maximum heart rate lower than average?

Is it worth measuring one's maximum heart rate? I presume maximum would only be reached once glycogen stores are depleted and under other adverse circumstances such as high altitude.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by primal-dan View Post
    Jaime - You need to measure your resting heart rate to figure this out. Then subtract resting HR from max HR to get your heart rate reserve.

If your resting heart rate turns out to be 60 bpm, then your heart rate reserve is 182 - 60 = 122 bpm.

55% of 122 = 67
    75% of 122 = 92

Now add your resting heart rate to get the lower and upper limit of the zone. In this example it would be 127 - 152 bpm.

If you just used the simple method to calculate heart rate, and exercise at 100 - 137 bpm, you would only be at 33% - 63%.

It's easiest to just use an online calculator for this. I like this one:
    Target Heart Rate Range
    Ah, but those are two different things, no?

%-age of maximum heart rate vs. %-age of heart rate reserve

I think that every piece of literature regarding PBF and "Moving slowly..." specifies 55-75% of maximum heart rate (MHR in things like the PBF e-Book), and NOT heart rate reserve.

So, for the OP using the measured 182 for MHR, that would be 100-137 bpm. Perhaps it's worth it to the OP fo shoot an email to Mark for clarification...

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I am very fit with a very good VO2 max. Would this make my maximum heart rate lower than average?
    On the contrary, I would think that a very fit, very aerobically inclined individual would have a higher measured MHR
    Is it worth measuring one's maximum heart rate? I presume maximum would only be reached once glycogen stores are depleted and under other adverse circumstances such as high altitude.
    There's a lot of different mentality on how to arrive at an MHR number. Here's one article: How to Accurately Determine Your Maximum Heart Rate & Have An Out of Body Experience At the Same Time | Complete Running Network

For individuals, you are The thing is for "world class" athletes, accurately it might be critical to precisely determine MHR based...since all of your other training targets are based on this. As the link above points out: "your training program will be flawed, and your odds of under- or over-training are that much greater."

For most people following PBF, I don't think we are world class athletes, so I don't think it's that critical. Using 220-age for the purpose of hitting the 55-75% zone is probably good enough. Alternately, if you have a monitor and you have measured a different value on YOU, that's probably preferable. With said monitor, you can follow one of the many "at home" procedures for measuring MHR. Or you can do a sprint session and note the highest value you see on the monitor. Or you can do a Cardiac Stress Test as mentioned in the article under a doctor's supervision.

Know that whatever you measure as your MHR, it's going to change over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast