Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit - reassurance and/or ass-kicking needed page

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

So I've found a Crossfit gym a 40 minute drive from me....but all their website pics etc are very much your typically fit, muscley, hardcore type guys/girls.

So as a podgy, unfit girl, I'm trying to pluck up the courage to actually go!

I am assuming that crossfit in the UK is the same as the crossfit referred to here a lot?

Is it *really* scaleable down to any level? I can walk forever, and carry heavy things, but I can't run for toffee nor do a pull-up. As mentioned in other threads, I've never enjoyed exercise / PE classes - more suffered and survived through them. And while I'm in the negative frame of mind, I'm also tired from work most of the time - mentally if not physically.

Incidentally, if any UK Groks are in the vicinity of Shrewsbury...... ;D

Their website is http://www.crossfitshropshire.com/

shepherd is offline Junior Member

It really is scalable! I started at 250ish lbs (5'8" female) and can do scaled workouts... I haven't been able to manage a pullup yet, but scaled "beginner" pull ups still work the same muscles and I'm stronger than ever. I've gotten away from CF lately but I'm being drawn back because I love the results I obtained from it and Primal eating. Definitely go for it!

In your face, Space Coyote!

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

Oh do it!

If the coaches are good then they should welcome you with open arms and they should know how to scale everything and coach you on all the forms etc. I'm not sure if its the same over there, but all the affiliates I've EVER been to have an on-ramp program of some sort. Or you take a series of one-on-one sessions to coach you alone and get you started. They shouldn't just chuck you into the class and see if you sink or swim. And remember, everyone that starts crossfit has to be a beginner in it...even the "fit" people often suck at first

Ry
    Ry is offline Member

You could also start out by doing modified crossfit-style body weight workouts at home to build your fitness and confidence. And crossfit is definitely accessible to everyone, a lot of crossfit coaches recommend as little as 5-10 min of met-con twice a week for true beginners.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Every Crossfit facility is unique, and the quality of instruction can be quite variable as there is no real 'quality control' function.

The only way to see if a particular facility will meet your needs is to try it.

One thing I can tell you is Crossfit is very powerful medicine, and as such, can be toxic in doses that are too high. Careful, prudent administration however, at the right frequency for your body, can be nearly miraculous.

I think BECAUSE the typical Crossfitter is a young, healthy adult--even if unfit to start---there is not enough emphasis on recovery. Personal opinion: if you are seeking HEALTH then those truly high-intensity workouts probably should only be done once or twice a week, tops. But many, if not most Crossfitters practice Crossfit as their main sport and train to a peak as a Crossfitter. Just as long-distance endurance athletes may not have the most health----daily Crossfitters may not, either.

I broke myself overdoing Crossfit---but then again at 50-something, I was keeping up with those 20 and 30 somethings. For a while.

Sooze

The one I'm looking at does a "ladies only" class once a week, which was/is the least intimidating option for me.... also randomly looking at adult ballet classes elsewhere, haha

What can I say, I have varied tastes....

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

Definitely scalable. However, I no longer do the strict CF WOD's. I took what I learned and continue to do WOD's, however my body needs more time to heal and the "3 on 1 off" schedule never worked for me, so I was constantly skipping WODs. Plus I've found big benefits in my life by adding some other exercises that aren't ever, or at least are seldom done in CrossFit.

I'll probably get attacked for this one, but I've always found it hard to believe that one fitness regimen is perfect for everyone. I've found there is an "elitist" attitude within CF that all other fitness regimen's are garbage - for example there was a great quote in an article in "Muscle and Fitness" where a CF trainer said something like "If you do curls in my gym, I'm kicking you out."

Sorry dude, but I have a 25Lbs child that I need to lift and carry... nearly the exact same functional movement as curling a dumbbell. I'm sure he would argue there is some CF exercise that would train me for that, but I need to lift my son daily and the WOD for "Carrying kids" might only pop up once a month - and that day might be the day I had to skip because my body doesn't heal fast enough to handle "3 on 1 off".

Still, I would give it a try and find out if it's right for you. It's really fun (as opposed to strictly lifting weights which is B-O-R-I-N-G!) and I learned a ton about fitness and weightlifting which has proven to be very valuable.

adamsaysyo is offline Member

I'll add my "yep" to the scalable. I have been doing CF 3-4 times a week for 4 months now, and I consider myself beginner/intermediate, Pullups for instance. Until I can get them down, its jumping pullups on a box for me... I just can't do it otherwise. For people who can't pump out 100 pushups at once from a solid plank, they go to their knees. Their is usually a "prescribed weight", but you do what you can... and over time, you'll get closer to that Rx.

Having a great instructor is important - i lucked out that my instructors are amazing, always making sure i am in proper form, not getting hurt, and pushing me to finish as best as I can.

Acmebike is offline Member

You can read the "Fat Girl" posts here:

http://blackhillscrossfit.com/

Regular gal, loving the gym.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for that link... that's pretty much the wavelength I'm on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast