Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet potato vs Banana / fat-carb combining page

waynebw is offline Member

Sweet potato vs Banana / fat-carb combining

Primal Fuel
    A couple of questions regarding carbs.

Sweet potatoes are ~50 on the glycemic index, and bananas are about the same. Sweet potato goes higher when baked in the skin. Would bananas be a better carb source since they can be eaten raw? Im coming from the perspective of wanting maximum nutrition and best for body composition.

Also, is it best to combine fats with carbs, or to eat separately? This is purely from a body composition point of view - I want to get ripped, and am currently 11% body at.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes just need 10-12 mins in a microwave if you want convenience.

Sweet potatoes have a much higher glucose/fructose ratio, plus higher vitamin and mineral content. They have very powerful anti-inflammatory properties and higher fibre content too. Eat them with a shed load of saturated fat and protein to lower their GI to negligible.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If that's you in the picture, dude, you are already "ripped" seriously - what is it that you want to achieve? Sweet potatoes are more nutritious but taste weird with yogurt. Glycemic index has been shown to be mostly worthless. Hope that helps.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I've found GI to be very valuable but each to their own!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Sweet potatoes just need 10-12 mins in a microwave if you want convenience.
    Sweet potatoes have a much higher glucose/fructose ratio, plus higher vitamin and mineral content. They have very powerful anti-inflammatory properties and higher fibre content too. Eat them with a shed load of saturated fat and protein to lower their GI to negligible.
    Thanks,interesting about the glucose ratio I hadn't considered that. My current method is this, with protein and butter :-)

Quote Originally Posted by waynebw View Post
    Thanks,interesting about the glucose ratio I hadn't considered that. My current method is this, with protein and butter :-)
    Sweet potatoes are essentially one of the best sources of starch. They are much less sweet than many other root veg such as carrot. Carrots taste so sweet they make me gag.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If that's you in the picture, dude, you are already "ripped" seriously - what is it that you want to achieve? Sweet potatoes are more nutritious but taste weird with yogurt. Glycemic index has been shown to be mostly worthless. Hope that helps.
    Yes it's me, thanks very much I want to get my bodyfat lower so that I can see my lower abs, not just upper ones.
    I was thinking perhaps my baked sweet potato (2-3 per day) slathered with butter may be making me hold onto that lower fat.

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Carrots taste so sweet they make me gag.
    lol that's an interesting comment. Do you mean regular supermarket carrots? I get a weekly organic veg box and the carrots they send me at the moment are AMAZING, as they're in season. You can smell them from the other side of the room, and they're not that sweet, just delicious!

Yes I do. I buy organic supermarket carrots for my rabbit.

I never feel any complusion to eat them cos I rank sweet potato so much higher.

I looked up on Fitday Banana and Sweet Potato.
    Sweet potato has clearly more nutrients, weight-to-weight.

Just the fat/carb combining has me confused... on 1 hand, mixing with fat lowers GI (insulin response) but gives you 2 energy sources, so one would be stored as body fat? On the other hand, sweet potato alone gives a higher insulin response...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast