Thread: Tim Noakes, "Lore of Running" Author page

honeypig is offline Senior Member

Tim Noakes, "Lore of Running" Author

Shop Now
    http://www.discovery.co.za/email_za/...ral/noakes.pdf

I'm surprised no one posted this already--interesting to see that someone as authoritative as Noakes in the running world has done such an about-face.

runningout is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the great article. This might cause some Noakes followers to check their paradigms.
    I'm just reading a book by Philip Maffetone (who seems quite Primal to me): "The big book of Endurance training and racing"(2010). Noakes has written respective afterwords for the book.

Runningout, I just picked up Phil Maffetone's book myself! It makes so much sense to me to switch to his plan of low HR training, and in fact I have been doing so for about 6 weeks now. I'd be interested to hear what you think, and if you have actually implemented any of his methods so far.

Phillip Maffetone's book

It's an excellent book, so much more than typical (running) book, offering balanced approach for sports and life.
    I think I first just read it through (same time with primal blueprint..) to get the spirit and later go better on details, but I already try to follow the "MAF" (Max aerobic function) heart rates, which I kind of followed earlier, but I needed some explanation. I also adopted better warm-up and cool-down stages (after I learned why they are beneficial). E.g. allowing the circulation to return to inner organs after training before loading in all the food..
    Is it this MDA or Maffetone, but I'm moving from being better (wannabe)runner to being healthier person..

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    Another book in the same vein as Maffetone's books is "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman, an accomplished ultra-runner.

Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post
    Another book in the same vein as Maffetone's books is "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman, an accomplished ultra-runner.
    I checked this book out of the library years ago, read it and thought, wtf, this is craziness. Checked it out again a month or two ago and felt quite different....

Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post
    Done that, in search of more answers, Slow Burn led me to Maffetone...then MDA...does it get any better ?

One part of the puzzle after another...and then trying this and that to see what fits for your individual situation. It takes time, but I have high hopes that this will put me on the right track.

I lost about 50 lbs using conventional means over a couple of years, ran my first marathon in 4:05:32 and for the following 4 years, have been struggling w/constant weight gain and very little improvement in race times. Even tho I worked harder and harder each training cycle and kept on using the same methods I had used in the past to lose weight, I just got NO RESULTS! As a 52-year-old woman w/thyroid problems, I have other hormonal things to work with too, but finally I have some light at the end of the tunnel. I had almost begun to dislike running, as it seemed I was always working so hard, but now I have had a few runs that actually felt GOOD again, quite encouraging, AND I am not constantly hungry as I was before.

This just seems to be heading the right direction.