Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New article on Science Based Medicine page

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

"Longing for a past that never existed."

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=3904

You can pretty well imagine the general tone. The comments section is gold, but the site's admins tend to ignore or deride contrary evidence while providing little of their own. Paleo diets are mentioned and basically glossed over.

It's worth a read, and perhaps a comment or two.

lesliek is offline Member

I'm hesitant to use the world "evolution" when discussing primal, because it tends to get this reaction. People think we're idealizing a time in history that shouldn't be idealized. I try to convey that there are biological realities we often ignore in the SAD, and there's plenty of science to back up this kind of living in today's world. Falls of deaf ears often, I'm afraid.

AlexK is offline Junior Member

I'm the Alex Knapp posting in the comments, and I think I may have made the author a bit testy what with my backing up my claims with the best available scientific research and all.

Science Based Medicine is usually a great, no-BS site, which makes this post doubly disappointing.

Athena is offline Senior Member

That lady sounds like a proverbial hack not worthy of sticking an M.D. by her name. Likely one of those mail order degrees hanging framed on the wall of her one bedroom apt surrounded by her many cats.

"Do you really think eating well will prevent you from getting ill???"

UH DUH!! I facepalmed so hard when i read that, i thought i might of given myself a concussion. I read a few of the comments, Primal JAK you were cracking me up. Shes trying to argue with scientific FACTS on a science based medicine website. Shes trying to argue that a green wall is blue in front of a bunch of green experts. Remind me when i need an OB, never to step foot near that office!!

egmutza Guest

Bang up job, Alex! That post represents everything I hate about the so-called "science-based medicine" and "skeptics" community. Your measured response and continued referencing of peer-reviewed studies did the paleo crowd a service, and showed what it means to truly take a science- (and reality-) based approach to human health.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the exchange, and encourage everyone here to go check it out.

Prowler Guest

That was frustrating to read, but you did a great job. Personally, I credit modern medicine and sanitation for all of the improvements to the human lifespan.

Also, we have definitely reached the point where overeating (on junk-type food) is more of a problem than under-eating. That might have something to do with it, as well. People are able to live longer than they would if they were starving, but suffer more from the "diseases of civilization" as a result.

Whereas, as you said, we could have the best of both worlds if we emulate the traditional hunter-gatherer diet while taking advantage of modern food production and abundance, as well as modern medicine.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Prowler Guest

^ Yeah, I just finished reading the entire thing and it pretty much goes like this:

1. Blogger makes claims, offers no evidence

2. Commenters dispute claims, offer evidence to the contrary

3. Blogger sets up straw men, declines to present evidence for original claims

and so on and so forth.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

that particular woman is notorious for asserting without proof when it comes to birth issues (repeat c-sections vs VBAC, safety of c-sections and other interventions, use of licensed midwives vs. an OB etc.)

she pretty much has a highly medicalised view as being the only kind of 'science' view there is. if you want to have a low-risk birth without interventions in a birth center or at home, you are a dangerous, crazy woman trying to hurt her baby. if you want to control some chronic condition by changing elements of your diet, you are pining for a life as a noble savage and will die in a couple of years without expensive medical interventions.

she is not interested in people wanting to take care of their own health needs to the limits that they can while using the benefits of modern medicine as a back-up (or not at all, if their research for their individual situation suggests it won't confer benefits). she is very caught up in the cult of the expert as the only one with the knowledge and the power.

Acmebike is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Her critique, such as it is, can't be applied to Primal/Paleo living the way I practice it. She obviously has not read "The Primal Blueprint". It sounds like she's pretty comfortable with her limited CW based knowledge, and can stay there for all I care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast