Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat Stored as Fat? page

griffa is offline Junior Member

Fat Stored as Fat?

Primal Fuel
    Wow - I'm totally confused.

I just read a post that tipped what I thought I knew about metabolism and food upside-down. I guess maybe that happens here a lot!

I was of the understanding that low-carb worked for weight loss because when you limited the carbs available for energy, your body used consumed fat and then body fat for energy.

I just read that fat is still stored as fat.

I am Insulin resistant, and feel much better eating few carbs, but still am not losing much weight in spite of eating very little over all. I'm just not hungry on low-carb, and find that eating too much is simply not an issue any longer. My understanding is that Insulin is "the fat storage hormone."

I've been told, and have been practicing, that enough fats, combined with low-carbohydrates will suppress the appetite enough to stimulate weight-loss. I'm experiencing the appetite suppression, and subsequent reduction in my daily food consumption, but I'm still not losing more than a couple pounds a month.

I really felt that I understood, from what I've read and been told, that fat is not stored as fat. How could I have gotten this so wrong?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    It's true. Fat that is not needed for energy will be stored as body fat just was carbs will one a body's supplies have been replenished. Eliminating carbs and eating excessive fat isn't really a good idea. The trick is to find a healthy balance of protein, fat, and carbs that works for you.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I had a reply that vanished, but basically, what Daemonized said.

The body doesn't care which fat it uses, if you eat too much fat it won't use the fat that's stored.

Always remember that body fat is kept around by the body for emergency issues. We should all have some in order to survive a few extra days, make it through famines, etc... so the last thing the body wants to do is use up its storage (you don't spend your savings when you have other money to spend, right?) the objective is to find a balance where you're NOT eating excessive amounts of either carbs or fat, so your body can use a bit of the fat you eat plus a bit of the fat it has stored.

Thanks. Need to revise things.

So what would be the best way to figure out what I need to do?

Advice from Dr.s has gotten me fatter and sicker over the years - I simply don't trust that what they say is best for me. I will be seeing a naturopath soon for possible thyroid issues, but still want to eat right. I have gone to a WAPF-type diet, very clean, but no grains. Grains seem to be toxic for me, and I'm ill for days, so I won't be adding them as carbs.

I'm eating a lot of vegetables, little or no sugar most days, and some meat, but have not been cutting any fats. 2 hb eggs for breakfast and cream in my coffee, not much again until dinner, and then maybe 4 oz of protein, but a lot of vegetables, most things cooked with animal fats or coconut oil. Some days I'll have a snack of cheese and an apple if I have time. Most days not more than 1/4 cup nuts. Some days an avocado for snack. Mostly I'm not doing much snacking, however. I just don't have the time or feel the need. Occasionally (maybe 3 times per month) I'll have the equivalent of 1/2 a small potato with dinner if that's what I make for everyone else, but don't really miss the starches much and so don't eat them often.

What kinds of nutritionists are the best for advising a person that's not interested in getting the same USDA Food Pyramid "song and dance"? I just don't want to go to someone that tells me low-fat and high-carb are the answer, because that's what's gotten me where I am. One-size-fits-all nutrition advice is NOT what I'm looking for, and I'm tired of hearing that 120 grams of carbs per day is low-carb! That many carbs make me want to sleep all day! I'm much sharper and more energetic on fewer carbs, but I know that's not what's generally recommended by the medical community-

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    In short, don't go fat crazy. Cream is mostly fat, cheese can have a lot of fat, avocado is vegetable fat, nuts have enough fat that they burn, and cuts of meat range from very fatty to virtually no fat at all. I would not suggest eliminating all fat from your diet, but know that these are sources of fat and go easy on them. Vegetables are great and have some carbs and if you're burning some of your glycogen then things sweet potatoes are an awesome source of primal carbs.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    If you eat too much the excess doesn't magically vanish,it gets stored as fat,regardless of the macro-nutrient composition of the food.The whole "metabolic advantage" of eating low carb has been shown to be wrong with numerous clinical ward studies that showed fat loss differences that were statistically insignificant between a low cab diet and an isocaloric diet that was higher carb.The big advantage of low carb is that it's great for healing a busted metabolism,which is why it's recommended for the obese and other people with damaged metabolisms.Diet gurus that tell you that you can eat whatever you want and however much you want as long as it's low carb are full of it,the body just doesn't work that way.

Well, at this point I'm finding that the fats are really helpful in appetite control, which I seem to have extreme difficulty with when eating a higher carb diet and cutting the fats. I understand exactly what you're saying, but all else has failed me over the years. When I eat more carbs, I just want to keep eating more carbs, and I find that I'm eating all day long, with hunger pangs instigating the whole destructive process.

I cannot remember even having a hunger issue over the past few months since I've cut carbs and added in more fats.

I've just never found anything to curb my appetite better than fats. We do eat a lot of vegetables every day. Unfortunately, when I've cut the fats in the past, I end up eating so many more carbs that I've just continued to gain over the years.

I've at least lost some weight this way, about 16 pounds since October. I'm afraid that if I cut my fats too much I'll be headed in the other direction again. I've honestly had more appetite control over the past few months than I can ever remember having in my whole adult life.

I understand that maybe I'm eating too many fats, but really, how is the best way to find out?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well, the lowered hunger is one main reason why low carbing is in fact a good weight loss strategy - it makes compliance much easier. But your overall food consumption matters as much as ever - don't snack ever. Skip breakfasts when you can. Go for long walks in the mornings. Lift heavy things and sprint. Get more sleep.
    Also, two pounds per month is a decent amount if you are relatively lean - you can't sustain 2 lb / week for a long time. Your metabolism adjusts and you start burning your muscles instead of your fat stores. In fact, 2-3 pounds per month is recommended by some as the maximum long-term loss that is advisable.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffa View Post
    Well, at this point I'm finding that the fats are really helpful in appetite control, which I seem to have extreme difficulty with when eating a higher carb diet and cutting the fats. I understand exactly what you're saying, but all else has failed me over the years. When I eat more carbs, I just want to keep eating more carbs, and I find that I'm eating all day long, with hunger pangs instigating the whole destructive process.

I cannot remember even having a hunger issue over the past few months since I've cut carbs and added in more fats.

I've just never found anything to curb my appetite better than fats. We do eat a lot of vegetables every day. Unfortunately, when I've cut the fats in the past, I end up eating so many more carbs that I've just continued to gain over the years.

I've at least lost some weight this way, about 16 pounds since October. I'm afraid that if I cut my fats too much I'll be headed in the other direction again. I've honestly had more appetite control over the past few months than I can ever remember having in my whole adult life.

I understand that maybe I'm eating too many fats, but really, how is the best way to find out?
    Experiment.

I'm not advocating a diet made up of mostly carbs,but I also don't advocate low carb for people that have fixed their metabolism and are active.I'm a fairly active guy and on an average day maybe 30% of my calories come from healthy carbs,l get enough protein to support my muscles and so on,and the rest comes from fat.After crunching the numbers the majority of my calories come from fat,but the balance is much closer than someone going extremely low carb and so on.Fat and protein definitely have a satiating quality,but after upping my carb intake to 100-200 grams a day I haven't noticed any changes in the amount I eat or the hunger I feel between meals,everything is the same as it was when I was eating under 50 grams of carbs a day except for the fact that I feel much better and my workouts aren't suffering from lack of energy and so on.

I honestly believe that eating excessive amounts of a macro-nutrient or excessively cutting out a macro-nutrient isn't optimal for a human in the long run,the key is a balanced ratio that meets your bodies needs and comes from healthy sources.Try adding in some carbs from healthy sources like root vegetables,white rice if you can tolerate it,and some small amounts of fruits.Do this,make a note of how you feel,monitor your actual fat loss and not just your total weight loss,and make an informed decision based on the results you see.A lot of people mistakenly watch the scale like a hawk and assume that any change in that number,being positive or negative,is pure fat loss or gain,which it often times isn't.If someone eats a poorly balanced diet they'll also be losing lean mass on top of the fat,and the goal for anyone trying to get healthy should be to maximize fat loss while minimizing lean mass loss.Honestly,the best thing you can do is not lock yourself into one way of thinking and listen to your body,because the best advice on what works for you comes from your body.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    16lbs since October is nothing to sneeze at. You actually seem to mention quite a bit of snacking, cheese and and apple here, avocado there, etc.

I would suggest dabbling in straight meals for a week or two, seeing how that makes you feel.

Have you ever tried to do some fasting? skip breakfast and eat only lunch and dinner 3 days out of the week (or two, to start) and don't snack in between. Eat a regular lunch and a regular dinner, without worrying too much about the fats/etc. You probably aren't using all that much fat in your cooking, so you may just not be giving your body enough "free time" to utilize your stored body fat (since you're eating every couple of hours)

Maybe some fasting will be easier for you to manage than eating less fat. Start by delaying your "breakfast" a few hours, see how that goes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast