Thread: Combining foods to lower glycemic index? page

Hudson Peak is offline Junior Member

Combining foods to lower glycemic index?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all, this is my first post.

I'm wondering if it's beneficial to combine foods in an effort to lower the glycemic index of a meal. In other words, if I splurge and want to eat some bread, if I eat a bunch of celery with it, does that lower the GI of the bread or will I experience the same spike in blood sugar from the bread no matter what?

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson Peak View Post
    Hello all, this is my first post.

I'm wondering if it's beneficial to combine foods in an effort to lower the glycemic index of a meal. In other words, if I splurge and want to eat some bread, if I eat a bunch of celery with it, does that lower the GI of the bread or will I experience the same spike in blood sugar from the bread no matter what?
    Bread? I don't think there is anything that will lessen the negative effects of that. Primal isn't about the glycemic load~ ask anyone here that regularly eats white rice~ Here's a good place to start, so you understand why certain foods are avoided~

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Everyone is different. You would have to test your blood after eating different things to see what spiked your sugar level the most and avoid those foods.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Combining foods does change the glycemic index. Adding protein, fat or fiber will all lower the GI of a simple starch, compared to eating just the simple starch.

Celery has just a bit of fiber, so would not change the GI of bread very much. Protein and fat would do more. The insulin spike would not be as high, but you WILL release the same amount of insulin, just over a little longer time. So all the negative effects of high insulin will still be there to trouble you. Not to mention the inflammatory effects of the wheat.

Humbly suggest you splurge on something else like chocolate. Or at least eat fermented or sprouted grain bread made from non-glutinous grains... but you may find that after a while without bread it will just taste kind of dry and tasteless, and won't seem like such a treat after all. Its amazing how your tastes can change!

bobsbarricades is offline Junior Member
    I too am interested in this. Someone recently told me that combining foods doesn't slow down the rate in which your insulin rises.

Truth? I have always read the opposite and haven't eaten a carb by itself without fat and/or fiber for years. Would like research to look at.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Why do you care about glycemic index? Are you looking for little tricks to let you eat bread? Well, if you want bread that bad, just eat it. Legions of people lowering the glycemic index of bread with mayonnaise and meat can't be wrong.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Unless you have diabetes or some metabolic problem then forget about the GI, GL or whatever and eat foods that make you feel good, even if it comes in the form of bread.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    GI is just a way for those who eat SAD to justify whole grain products etc so if you are eating SAD it is a crap shoot but f you are eating primal you have very little to worry about.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 09-29-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!