Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Haagen Dazs Vanilla Icecream page 6

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Solution: buy an ice cream maker. I made my OWN Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. I don't use recipes and I just throw everything in a bowl when I cook, but this is roughly what I did.

Custard:
    6 egg yolks
    1 pint heavy cream
    2 cups whole milk
    1 cup 1% kefir
    1 whole vanilla bean pod, sliced and scraped
    ~1/4 cup organic whole coconut sugar

Heat your custard like normal, refrigerate overnight.

Stabilizers and anti-freeze:
    1/8 cup spiced rum
    1/4 cup vodka
    1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin (you have to thin it out in probably 1/4 cup very warm whole milk before you add it)
    Stevia to taste

Add all that stuff before churning.

At the end of churning, add in:

1/2 cup raw walnut halves
    2 whole bananas, sliced
    1 3.5 oz 73% dark chocolate bar cut into chunks

The best advice I can give:

1.) Roast the bananas at 350*F for 20 minutes, turning once at the 10 minute mark. It makes them MUCH sweeter.
    2.) Melt down the chocolate with a little coconut oil and vanilla extract. Pour onto a plate lined with wax paper so the chocolate is thin. Freeze, then break into chunks by hand.

Not only is this about 10 times BETTER than B&J's Chunky Monkey, but it's not bad for you at all and a very sensible dessert. Feel free to replace the whole milk with canned coconut milk if you're lactose intolerant. This was so unbelievably good it's probably best you DON'T make it!
    If I would make my own ice cream, I would probably be like "Oh I can leave out almost all the sugar, and I can do *this* and *that* healthier, and then the whole idea of a treat disappears...
    Billie trips balls

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    What flavor do you go with usually?
    I don't really have a flavor. I've probably bought a pint of ice cream maybe 7 or 8 times in my entire life. I've never had a pint of ice cream before until around 2 or 3 years ago. Most storebought ice cream is lousy and unless I'm going to a REAL custard stand or something it's not worth it to me. Honestly, most of the ice cream I eat is homemade. If you're buying B&J's, there's only two kinds: crap with gluten and crap without gluten. If it's 2am and I'm drunk I really don't care.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Do you have a suggested method for those who don't own an ice cream maker? I'm not that huge into ice cream, but once in a while I would like to make it, hence not really caring to invest in one.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Do you have a suggested method for those who don't own an ice cream maker? I'm not that huge into ice cream, but once in a while I would like to make it, hence not really caring to invest in one.
    I don't. Without an ice cream maker, you'll probably get some ice buildup and an undesirable texture. Most of the ice cream recipes without an ice cream maker use just heavy cream to avoid the ice crystals, and that's just way too much butterfat for me. My suggestion is to buy one because they're outrageously cheap.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic 1-1/2-Quart Ice Cream Maker, White: Kitchen & Dining

I have the larger 2 quart model, but since you're not a big ice cream eater this smaller one is nice for <$50.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    We also make our own frozen greek yogurt. Throw in a quart of full fat unflavored, add some fresh or frozen berries, the insides of a vanilla bean pod, a bit of stevia or honey, some almonds. Turn on. I let my kids eat it for breakfast! Otherwise it is Hagan daaz or a local gelato which only has real ingredients.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I didn't eat ice cream for 15 years, wasn't worth it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456