Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me understand my Cholesterol test results page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Shop Now

I am really scared because I just got my cholesterol test back and it is indicating that I have very high cholesterol levels…. I know that in previous posts it turned out to be OK for others because of the ratios; so can someone more versed in this subject give me a reading on whether or not this is a good/bad test result???

Cholesterol 252H

Triglyverides 118

HDL 86

Cholesterol/HDL 2.9

LDL (calculated) 142H

LDL/HDL 1.7

Not sure what to make of this…but everyone is telling me I need to take some medicine to help combat this cholesterol.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I'd wait for our resident cholestrol expert Griff to respond. In the meantime, don't take any meds

How long have you been following the pb?

CJ4400 is offline Member

I've been following PB since last June. And unfortunately I already bought some kind of natural supplement at the prescription of my doc, BUT if Griff or another expert can let me know if this is absolutely an OK test result I'll see about returning it....

TT- I just searched the forum and got lost in all the responses. I'll try reading each response one by one in the meantime during my lunch break.

thanks guys...

Prowler Guest

Wow, your HDL is 86? That's insane! (In a good way.)

I wonder if those results are typical of people following this eating style. I should get some bloodwork done, myself.

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

This is actually the reason why I started losing weight in the first place. I'm no medical professional, but I'll certainly offer my feedback.

By accepted standards, your total cholesterol is 52 points over the high point of the healthy range and your LDL cholesterol is 12 points over. However, your triglycerides are under the high point by 182, which is good. Your HDL cholesterol is 31 points above the high point. There are studies being done to see if too much HDL cholesterol can be a bad thing, so the jury is out on that. But it's accepted that for every 1 percent increase in HDL cholesterol, risk of heart disease decreases 2 - 3 percent.

Here's my take on it: The "H"'s next to the "bad" numbers mean that you are high on those lipids. There's no H next to the HDL number, so I assume that you haven't crossed that threshold of too much HDL. As a layman, I'm inclined to believe that your HDL is more than enough to offset the LDL. On top of this, there are a few early studies that are showing that even LDL isn't as great a risk factor as it's been made to be in the past.

Bottom line: Get a second or even a third opinion. The medicine that is commonly prescribed for lipid correction is lifelong and is riddled with really nasty side-effects. When I was obese, my doc wanted to put me on medication for high trigs. When I saw those side-effects, I said "screw that" and started losing weight. They told me I wouldn't be able to correct it on my own, yet six months later, I had picture-perfect lipids.

CJ4400 is offline Member

Well, I know that (or have read) that cholesterol levels can be elevated to some degree due to stress...which I admittedly been experiencing. But, I would still appreciate anyone's input on whether or not the overall test result is something to be concerned about. I was terrified when the doc told me that this is what is reflective of someone who should be 50+ y/o!

CJ4400 is offline Member

Oh, and Prowler - I am really hoping Griff or another expert can confirm that the PB is working and that this is nothing to worry about. And yes, I'm not sure when the last time you had your blood work done but definitely get it checked out

Prowler Guest

Well, from my limited understanding, it is dietary fat intake that directly elevates your HDL, which is often called the "good cholesterol" although I know that its a little more complicated than that.

So it makes sense that eating a diet that is high in natural fats would affect you this way. People on low-fat diets often struggle to raise their HDL.

Based on what Griff wrote in his cholesterol primer, I'd say your ratios look outstanding. It really is not the total number of cholesterol that matters, it is the ratio and with HDL like that, you are doing great.

Also, there is more to LDL than most people realize... not all LDL is bad. It takes a more sophisticated analysis than just a number to determine how much cholesterol those LDL are carrying.

stop_hammertime Guest

How long have you been primal?

I want to share my opinion (and I am not sure if this differs from Griffs opinion)

You markers for heart disease that MATTER are these:

Trigs below 150

HDL above 40

Pinch less than half an inch of fat on your abdomen

While it is a leap of faith to some degree, the newest evidence points to these things putting one in a very low risk category for heart disease.

6 months ago I would have told you to go on a statin ( I am a nurse, what do you expect)

But I have yet to treat a cardiac patient with high HDL and low triglycerides. All of my patients who come in with chest pain and find they have occlusion of one or more major coronary arteries have low HDL and high triglycerides....some, many have normal or only slightly elevated total cholesterol.

You HDL is what I would put in the category of exceptional and your Trigs will likely go down if you have not been primal for a significant period of time....but they are still pretty good.

I think your results are great..you just have to remember that a high LDL is not the end all be all of cardiac markers.

Save your liver and say no to statins.

I just want to repeat, on of the biggest indicators for development of heart disease is visceral fat, a good indicator of how much visceral fat you have is how much fat you carry around the abdomen. Keeping your body fat percentage low is one of the best things you can do to lower cardiac risk, period.

Griff, feel free to set me straight if need be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast