Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Mark, 29 days down and feel like a new man page

Milkman is offline Junior Member

Thank you Mark, 29 days down and feel like a new man

Primal Fuel
    Well it's been 29 days since I started eating like a caveman so here's my results. It's been an interesting month learning more about eating this way and experimenting with lots of recipes.

1. Weight 265 (Yea I know holy cow) to 237 - 28 pounds lost
    2. Waist tight 40" pants to cinched 38" pants and 3 belt holes (Will need new size in next month or so. Need to use a tape this month)
    3. Off my GERD medicine in 1st week and zero heartburn or acid reflux all month
    4. Blood pressure usually 135/90 on meds, now 115/72 on half pill. I have to watch this and may go off pills in a month or two.
    5. Pulse has always been 95-100 as long as I can remember, now 75-78
    6. Infinite energy from 5:30am-9:30pm, then I'm dusted. No more sleeping pills, or waking up in the night. Just totally out and wife says snoring is almost gone which makes a happier wife.
    7. Workouts were per Primal Blueprint. Lift heavy stuff including my body for two days, walk 3 days, sprint one day. That's it, no killing myself working out every day.

So what have I learned:

1. Coconut Oil is awesome, and I don't like coconut
    2. I love nitrate free bacon and grass fed beef. Especially cooked in coconut oil or real butter.
    3. There are a lot of veggies out there that I never heard of but are pretty awesome.
    4. It's easy not to cheat even on the road when you feel this good.
    5. People at work think I'm crazy when I eat a whole rottisiere chicken as my lunch. They want to know what "diet" I'm on since they see me dropping so much weight and they are eating their lousy lean cuisine and starving.
    6. After I tell them they say "So, it's the Atkins diet".
    7. I'm glad I have a good job to pay for all this food.
    8. I can't make fun of the 5 toe shoe people anymore because their funny shoes are awesome and cleared up my plantar faciitis in 2 weeks. But holy smokes my calves hurt the first week.

I can't wait to write my success story in another 5 months but I can personally say this saved my life. At 35, I couldn't see how I could live another 50 years being in pain and miserable every day like I was. Maybe this works better for some people than others but this is what is right for my body, no doubt.
    Last edited by Milkman; 02-14-2012 at 07:42 AM.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Congrats! That is AWESOME!!!!!

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    LOVE it! Grok on, my friend!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

trouvaille is offline Member
    Congrats!!

(I love these posts)
    Started Primal Dec 2011

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Cool post! Congrats!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Dragonfly32 is offline Member
    Congrats

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    That is really impressive. Did you cut out dairy and nuts? Love to see your food log.

Secondto1 is offline Junior Member
    Awesome, man!!! It is funny because with just a few exceptions, you pretty much narrated the last 6 weeks of my life. I haven't had quite the success as you, but I am stoked to be 19 lb leaner. It is definitely encouraging to hear others having success at living the life we were created to live. I am very excited about the future.

I have a little concern because I am going out for shoulder surgery next week, but I am going to continue to eat like a cave man even if I can't workout like one.
    Shawn

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Way to go Milkman - Welcome to the Tribe!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Milkman is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks everyone for the support, this really is a great place.

The best thing about this "diet" *shudder* (I hate even calling it that) is that there are few hard fast rules. Eat your fat, eat if your hungry and enjoy yourself. I know I have been lucky on this but I have not over analyzed anything. I can't tell you how many calories I ate, how many reps I did, how far I walked or how fast I ran. I just know that I did my hardest, enjoyed myself and I fall asleep at 9:30 and wake up at 5:30am ready for another day. I weigh myself every Sat morning only so there is no pressure on the scale. I have enough stress at work, this exercise and diet is like my therapy.

As for my food log it goes like this.

Breakfast - 3 eggs scrambled in bacon fat or butter with baby spinach, some leftover meat and mushrooms or veggies. Bacon is special for my daughter and I and reserved for Friday mornings. (Maybe that's the secret!)

Lunch - Leftovers from dinner the night before plus some steamed Broccoli and Cauliflower from the weekly veggie tray. If no leftovers it's to the Cafe at work for a big salad with lots of veggie toppings and balsamic plus some kind of protein i.e. bacon burger with no bun or condiments, baked fish, chicken breast with some olive oil drizzle.

Dinner - What haven't we eaten. Bought Well Fed Cookbook and Paleo Comfort Foods and have been cooking out of that. Grass Fed steaks of all varieties, shrimp, salmon, pork tenderloin, lots of different parts of a chicken and an array of veggies. Basically I walk in the produce section shut my eyes and start walking, stop, turn, point, buy and cook whatever I picked. There is always a recipe on the web for everything and it makes my wife and daughter laugh when I bring home some crazy veggie.

Special meals - I treat myself to 2 special meals a week that are still Paleo but I love. Sunday afternoon Spicy Coconut Soup and chicken wings in Frank's Hot Sauce and butter. Almost forgot dill pickles, I found real dill pickles in my grocery store with no additives including no vinegar. I eat one ever night

I eat so much at meals I don't really snack much at all. If I snack it is on celery/carrots from my veggie tray. But I eat when I am hungry no matter what time it is.

So, no cheats so far but I never felt like I had to use my willpower and I don't want to feel terrible afterward. No dairy, no nuts and very little fruits at the moment (blackberries) but since nothing is in season it's easier.
    Last edited by Milkman; 02-14-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast