Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how long do you fast for? page

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member

how long do you fast for?

Primal Fuel
    i had IF'd plenty of times in the past just out of lack of hunger, or to randomly do it to get past a plateau, etc ..

but Sunday morning i ate breakfast, and decided to do a 48hr fast (if i could) ...

made the 48 hours, then woke up this morning still not really hungry much ... but had breakfast anyways .. i have to work and need to be sure i dont crash or anything later today ..

but really, i feel AWESOME! even better than IF'ing its crazy!

just curious how long you guys fast for, or how long you think is "right"?

thanks!~ feelin great GROKIN!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I mostly do 16/8 fasts monday through friday... I have my last meal of the day as late as 8-9pm (though 9 is rare) then fast until about 1-2pm the following day. On the weekend, I don't fast. I greatly enjoy breakfast with my girlfriend or my family. I mostly fast mon-fri out of convenience as well.

I have not done a fast longer than 24 hours ever, I don't think. I probably could, but have no desire to try really. I do hear they are good for getting past plateaus. I sometimes throw in longer fasts by going dinner to dinner, but I don't have a set day for that at all.

well to be honest a plateau is why i decided to do a fast, but then i was amazed at how great i felt!

im still working on weight loss obviously... but trying little things like this is also fun!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Indeed. It does seem to be a great tool, just don't go crazy and start doing long fasts all the time... be sensible with it. It does seem to have a 'zen' like quality to it which is appealing, so I may throw in a long fast to see if I can handle it. It's also a good test that your body is properly burning fat, since you felt really good towards the end, you're doing quite well.

Given any thought to carb refeeds? at 20lbs to go (per your ticker) it might be the right time for it. You already know your body is good at fat burning so it's "primed" for the refeeds... could be yet another little thing to try that should produce great results provided you get busy lifting heavy weights -- as you should!

i fully intend to get busy on the weights soon .. i just want to get more weight off first ..

and man did i EVER feel a zen peacefullness during the fast .. i was tempted to go through it again after this mornings breakfast! but alas i know i need to get food in me ..

im going to PM you for info on the refeeds .. everything i find seems to contradict itself so i cant get a good read on how to do that

tplank is offline Senior Member
    I have gone with fasting once a week because it seems both effective but importantly, fits with the rest of my family needs. I do a fast of about 34 hours. I have dinner on Monday then do not eat until breakfast Wednesday. I seldom feel hungry, though ironically, as I was typing this my stomach growled. But in general, I find it pretty easy.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I fast from dinner - lunch (7-9pm to Noon) everyday except the morning after I lift. Lifting takes A LOT out of me..so I feel the need to keep the cals up in the morning. I have breakfast at noon on the weekends . I've done a lot of 24hr fasts in the past. I really dread it tho because all I can think about is food and I get irritable once I get around 18hours and it makes it difficult for me to be motivated work or do household chores.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I usually finish dinner by 6 pm at the most and my next meal is the next day around 9 am - noon.....not that I'm trying to fast or anything,it's just that paleo kinda puts me in this cycle naturally.

so its a good thing that i felt great even when fasting right?

i didnt even get hungry, have hunger pangs, etc ... and felt AWESOME .. lots of energy

Blanchy is offline Member
    I usually do one 24-hour fast per week to maintain, per Brad Pilon and Eat Stop Eat (I got into IF through him about eight months before I started eating Primal).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast