Thread: Questions about working out each body part once a week page

MrRoberts is offline Member

Questions about working out each body part once a week

Primal Fuel
    I am a firm believer of working out each body part once per week for maximum result like the book 'Body by Science' by Doug Mcguff and I have concerns about certain exercises.

Currently, I workout twice a week on Monday and Thursday, which suit me well since my kid is in school at that time. :-)

Monday:

Pull-up x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep
    Dead-lift x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep
    Shoulder Press x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep

Thursday:

Squat x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep
    Bench Press x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep
    Chin-up x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep

I stop a set when I cannot maintain a true form and workout no more than 30 minutes.

My concern is... am I actually working out the SAME body part when using Pull-up on Monday and Chin-up on Thursday? Same goes for Deadlift and Squat since both work the lower back and legs.

I just don't want to go through over-training again, which I spent over 2 months of down time. I just want to be strong and fit with low body fat %.

Height: 5' 9"
    Weight: 161lbs
    Body fat: 7.5%
    LBW: 153.5lbs

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Do you ever struggle with pull ups and chins or DL and squat? Are gains slower in these than other movements? If no, the your program is fine. If yes, you could consider scaling the volume back.

Also, sprints would be good to add somewhere.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Pull ups and chins are essentially the same exercise with slight variation. Dead lifts and squats will indeed work similar muscle groups but DL's focus more on the upper body and squats the lower body. Both work the entire body to some degree. I wouldn't do both chins and pull ups. I'd pick one. Plus you are getting plenty of back work with the DL's.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Pull ups and chins are essentially the same exercise with slight variation. Dead lifts and squats will indeed work similar muscle groups but DL's focus more on the upper body and squats the lower body. Both work the entire body to some degree. I wouldn't do both chins and pull ups. I'd pick one. Plus you are getting plenty of back work with the DL's.
    You're right about not doing both chins/pull ups and I felt the same.

My biceps are still slightly stiff/sore from yesterday's workout and I rather let it recover completely.

This is what I will do instead...

Monday:

Dead-lift x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep
    Pull-up x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep
    Shoulder Press x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep

Thursday:

Bench Press x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep
    Squat x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep
    Parallel Dip x 2 sets x 4 - 7 rep

I get plenty of biceps work anyway on Monday from deadlift, pull-ups and picking up dumbbells to do the shoulder press. Leaving Thursday to do the chest and triceps, which need more loving care and attention. ;-)
    Last edited by MrRoberts; 02-14-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    Do you ever struggle with pull ups and chins or DL and squat? Are gains slower in these than other movements? If no, the your program is fine. If yes, you could consider scaling the volume back.

Also, sprints would be good to add somewhere.
    I definitely do sprints on the weekend, which I wouldn't miss it for the world. ;-)