Thread: Confused about omega-3/6 ratio of certain foods page

2strokenut is offline Junior Member

Confused about omega-3/6 ratio of certain foods

Primal Fuel
    I have been going back to 100% Primal/Paleo for the last 3 weeks and that includes really keeping an eye on my Omega-3 and 6 ratio which I didn't really pay attention to the first time I tried this lifestyle. I know that grain fed beef and poultry are much higher in O6 than O3, especially poultry, but I found out that certain "good" fats I've been consuming a lot of are extremely high in Omega-6 and low in omega-3. I hope its just the web site that is giving the information but there aren't many sites that give O3/6 amounts. I get it from NutritionData.com Here are some examples:

A California Avocado, which I love to eat all the time since my buddy has a grove over in SD, I eat them with abandon: This is 1 fruit, 136g

Omega 6: 2296mg
    Omega 3: 150mg

15:1 ratio wow, that is not what I expected.

Next is good ol' Extra Virgin Olive oil. 1 tbsp

Omega 6: 1118mg
    Omega 3: 103mg

Thats a 10:1 ratio!

Here are some of the better ones I found, surprisingly:

Plain butter, not pastured grass-fed. 1 Tbsp

Omega 6: 382mg
    Omega 3: 44.1mg

A little better at an 8:1 ratio but with much less O6. I assume pastured grass-fed would be pretty close to even.

Coconut oil 1 Tbsp:

Omega 6: 243mg
    Omega 3: 0mg

From these numbers it seems to me I need to cut back on Avocados and Olive oil and start cooking more stuff in Butter and Coconut oil. Can anyone help me out here? Is the data on here completely wrong??

Thanks
    Todd

outdoorgirl is offline Junior Member
    Wow that's interesting I've definitely been getting way too much omega6 and not enough omega3. I wonder if that's why my skin is getting dry. I'm glad you posted this because I definitely need help figuring this out too.

I'm glad I looked into it there may be more people like us eating too much Omega 6!

peril is offline Senior Member
    No point looking at the nutrient content of individual foods. It's your total diet that counts. Work out the ratios over a week if you must. Otherwise, just make sure to eat a good amount of seafood
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Where does everyone get their O3/6 amount information from? I've only found one site so far might be nice to cross check a few sites ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Levine View Post
    Accumulation of too much storage fat can impair movement and flexibility, and can alter the appearance of the body.Pre obese and overweight however are often used interchangeably thus giving overweight.

Thanks Dr., wrong thread maybe?

reflex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2strokenut View Post
    Thanks Dr., wrong thread maybe?
    It's an advertisement.