Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pulling page 7

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave Bird View Post
    OK i'm at work, and have no oil here, but I just tried this with water while sitting at my desk. I wanted to see if I could swish something in my mouth for 20 mins and if I noticed a difference. I got about 10 mins in and had to spit it out, but I noticed that my teeth looked really clean! I think there is something to all that swishing, I can't wait to try it with coconut or sesame oil!

If you use coconut oil, isnt it solid when you put it in your mouth? or does it melt when you start the swishing?
    I think you are onto something there. I really think that swishing anything like that would be good for you. A dentist friend of mine said that the thing he would recommend if he were not getting free samples of mouthwash from several companies is simple saline water.

I'm not saying the oil is bad for you , in fact CO is very healthy as a part of the diet, but I don't think it is doing anythign magical to the teeth. I think it's the swish.

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Has anyone else done this with CO right before bed and then not been able to go to sleep? I've done lots of oil pulling in the past but always with sesame oil. Last night I did CO for the first time and couldn't go to sleep for hours. I was SO pumped. Almost jittery.
    That's the MCT's metabolizing away.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Oil pulling with coconut oil really made a difference in the whiteness of my teeth...so theres def something to it.

Auray is offline Junior Member
    I always thought this was interesting, but I'm not comfortable with the prolonged contact of the oil with the lining of my mouth. Not sure why, just doesn't seem like something I want to do. And all that sesame or coconut oil has got to get pricey along with the toothpaste needed to brush it out.

But it did make me think that good oral rinses with water are a good idea. I keep a glass of water on my night stand; and every time I wake up and my mouth doesn't feel clean or fresh, I swish a mouth full of water for a few minutes and spit into the sink. I do the same thing when I get out of bed.

My mouth feels so much cleaner in the morning, no more feeling like my teeth are wearing fuzzy little sweaters. And I think the nightly and morning rinses have to get rid of toxins I would otherwise swallow. And tap water is like, free.

SpitFire is offline Senior Member
    I've been oil pulling for about a week and a half now. My teeth are a little whiter. I also have a temporary filling that started falling apart (not caused by oil pulling) and I didn't oil pull one day. My tooth really started to hurt. I resumed oil pulling and it keeps the inflammation at bay. I go Thursday to fix the filling, btw.

PrimalBlake is offline Junior Member
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the flora in your mouth

Maybe you're feeding the good bacteria with all that fat and it reproduces to a higher level that helps them kill the sugar-based bacteria, which then in turn reduces plaque, etc etc

Just a random thought at 3am...

wilberfan is offline Senior Member
    I just tried this. 20 minutes wasn't as difficult as I thought. I had some coconut oil, but I'm curious to try the...sesame oil, was it? I just changed dentists, and was a little concerned about some gum recession. (The old dentist was tracking it, so was used to it.) I'm hoping this oil pulling will keep things healthy.

(Anybody have gums improve--rather than just not worsen--with this regimine?)
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I had some pretty horrible gum pockets (moderate periodontal disease), and had the frighteners put up me by the dental hygienist. I started oil pulling and supplement with Vit. C (4000mg daily), and twice weekly 5 minute brushing with activated charcoal. I started with the activated charcoal after having a "deep clean" with the hygienist. Went back last week for a check-up, and the gum pockets have all but gone, and the gum recession has not got worse, but not improved. However, my teeth feel so much nicer that whatever the results, I'd keep on doing this! Not something I regret at all.

kot
    kot is offline Member
    I plan on ordering some Thorne Research, Vitamin D/K2 drops $24 to add to sesame oil pulling. (10 drops contain 5000 IU vitamin D3 and 1 mg vitamin K2). using just 2 drops 1000IU/200mcg
    or
    get Thorne Research Vitamin D Liquid $14 (2 drops 1000 IU) + Thorne Research, Vitamin K2 $65 (1 mg of vitamin K2 per drop) separately and mix at a different ratio 2 drops D + 1 drop K2 = 1000IU/1mg

Thoughts?

ref:
    https://shop.thorne.com/vitamin-d-k2-liquid
    https://shop.thorne.com/vitamin-d-liquid
    https://shop.thorne.com/products/vit...amin-k2-liquid

wilberfan is offline Senior Member
    Well, third consecutive day, and no issues. I'm doing the "swish during morning ablutions" method--which seems to be the least intrusive. (Interesting shaving with a mouth full of coconut oil.) Thick I'll pick up some sesame oil tomorrow and see how similar/different it is. The D/K2 drops is an interesting idea... Wouldn't drops like that have to be swallowed to be 'absorbed'?
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalBlake View Post
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the flora in your mouth

Maybe you're feeding the good bacteria with all that fat and it reproduces to a higher level that helps them kill the sugar-based bacteria, which then in turn reduces plaque, etc etc

Just a random thought at 3am...
    My understanding is that the oil gets between the teeth and gums and displaces bacteria that would otherwise be undislodged. So there's an anti-bacterial effect.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast