Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Pulling page 4

seashells is offline Senior Member
    As awful as it was for me my one and only time, I did use coconut oil and it doesn't seem to be the right oil to use. I have some sesame oil in the pantry (since I don't cook with it anymore) and I might give that a try tomorrow morning and report.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil is fine.

so is sesame.

there is one other oil used in ayurveda for this as well. . . but I cannot remember what it is.

It depends upon your constitution.

I use coconut oil, and it is fine.

RennieVan is offline Member
    The research I have done suggests the best oils are sesame and sunflower. I couldn't find sunflower oil today but I found a bottle of sesame oil that looks pretty good. They make toasted sunflower oil, but the kind I got was not toasted. It's very lightly colored. I am trying it in the morning! I think I would really enjoy it with coconut oil because I have never really been a fan of sesame oil. Oh well, here goes nothing!

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I brush with Aquafresh in the am and swish with sesame oil in the pm. I would love to find some non-fluoride toothpaste up here. Have you found it?
    No, but I honestly haven't looked for any yet. For other things, sometimes Fred Meyers health section is pretty good and we have Natural Pantry in Anchorage. Don't know if you have one up there or not. Otherwise, I tend to just order online for whatever I can't find locally. Shipping costs are horrid, but sometimes there just isn't much choice here. I just keep hoping that some day Trader Joes or Whole Foods will open a store here. Probably not going to happen, but one can hope.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I have some sesame oil lying around the house so I might as well try it. I'm pretty skeptical though. People are terrible at accurately assessing changes in their own body and the placebo affect is very strong.

seashells is offline Senior Member
    I did the sesame oil this morning but only for five minutes- you're really supposed to do it for 20? It was better than coconut, but the texture still squicks me out. And spitting it out was the worst. Grody!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    So is the consensus that coconut oil is NOT good for trying this? Because I don't have any sesame oil in my house...
    Until this thread, I had only heard of using coconut oil.

RennieVan is offline Member
    I tried it this morning too. First time I only lasted 5 min, but I think I put too much oil in my mouth. I spit that out and tried a little bit less. I managed to make it another 15 min while I showered, etc. Rinsed my mouth with warm water. The taste was barely noticeable. My problem was I was a little freaked out by not being able to breathe through my mouth! You know how it is, the minute you can't do something...that's all you want to do! I'll keep it up and post more if I see some amazing results. Going to the dentist in March, so I'm hoping for a great check up.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I did it with a big spoonful of coconut oil and swished it while I was driving to work this morning, then spat it out in a planter in the parking lot. It was a pretty neutral experience. It made me feel a little queasy for a few minutes, but I think that's mostly just not being used to having oil in my mouth for that long. The hardest part was avoiding swallowing any of it. It's not very difficult or unpleasant so I think I'll try it out for a few weeks and see if I notice any changes.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been doing it daily for 6 mo. It gets easier. You don't need a whole lot, somewhere between 1tsp and 1 tbs. I don't measure, just a little swig, if I get too much, a spit a little out. It kind of 'grows' as you swish it, like beating egg-whites.

You are correct about the placebo effect, but if you are doing it solely for dental health, let your dentist be the judge. If there happen to be other voo-doo effects, then so be it. I seriously doubt the body detox claims, but dental health effects your whole body, and have you seen those tongue accupuncture guys on 60 minutes and in the news?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast