Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flour substitues-rice flour? page

mosin46 is offline Senior Member

flour substitues-rice flour?

still looking for a sustitute for corn meal or wheat flour products to pan fry thin fish fillets. no,these do not broil or bake well in my experience. i have seen the negative take on almond flour here from one poster. true? using coconut flour is a no go. it's hard to make work and i hate coconut flavor,except in some very non paleo asian dishes. would rice flour be a useful/non toxic thing to try? i have decided,based on stuff here,that i may be able to add a small amount of rice back into my diet when i get bl.sugar issues back under control. thus,the idea of using rice flour in this role. there are a bunch of good recipies calling for various "breading" manuvers and finding a clean product to use in them would make my choices much more varied.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Don't know about rice flour, have you considered potato flour?

nope. tell me what you know or have experienced with it.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it would be good for baking (bread, cakes etc) but for making gravy or breading meat/fish, it's not bad~ doesn't taste potato-y when cooked (at least to me). I also like to use rice crackers that have been crushed in the processor to a fine crumb~ the benefit of that is they are already somewhat seasoned (salted) and can be used in things like meatloaf/meatballs or anything needing breading, like fried chicken~

thanks. gotta try it (and rice). non grain meatloaf is another need. using chopped up veg just doen't work. i have never done a "baked good" in my life,so,no loss there.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    I have seen one post somewhere where pork cracklins were used for breading.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I used rice flour to do the crunchy onion topping on green bean casserole for Thanksgiving. It worked out rather well. I soaked the onions in milk, then dredged in the flour. I haven't tried it with anything else, though. Personally, I don't think white rice is particularly harmful. It's carby, of course. 1 Tbsp (10g) is going to be about 8g of carbs. I'm not sure how much will cling to a fish fillet but that sounds about right to me. I may be wrong.

thyme is offline Member
    Rice flour is a go. If I'm going to fry something that needs breading--fish, usually, or a parmesan batter for lamb--than I use rice flour instead of wheat flour or cornmeal. Nothing special about substituting it--just put it on your plate and go.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you could also use almond flour, but it is more dense than rice flour, which is basically nothing.

that being said, use sparingly either way.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I occasionally use rice flour for coating vegetable patties or fishcakes before frying them. The main issue I have with it is that it contains a proportion of wholegrain rice, thus is much higher in anti-nutrients than white rice. Hence I don't use it very often. I've not been able to source pure white rice flour. Good for you if you have.

Why not just pan fry the fish fillets without breading?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast