Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So...I *do* have candida overgrowth! An update, and thank you! page

patski is offline Senior Member

So...I *do* have candida overgrowth! An update, and thank you!

Shop Now
    Today I saw a well-established naturopathic doctor, former medical doctor for 13 years. We talked for nearly two hours about my symptoms of candida (mostly perorial dermatitis). I have already begun taking olive leaf extract daily, about 4-5 capsules. I *was* taking apple cider vinegar, until said doc said it was a total NO NO because it's fermented. I can't have booze either! No red wine! Or Guinness! (Due to it's high malt content) ARGH!

I'm starting a regimen of probiotics, zinc, a cream to take away the redness, a few other things. I also need to start eating raw garlic for selenium content. PHEW!

She did a food allergy test and found that I do have an allergy to egg yolks (NOOOOOO!), oranges, wheat (who needs it?!) chocolate (OMG NO!), cayenne pepper, some others...and lo and behold, she found two strains of candida. I had already come to the conclusion that I had candida, which lead to leaky gut, which lead to said food allergies.

I want to mention that I've started using raw honey as a facial cleanser, and it's done MIRACLES.

I am amazed at the wealth of info on the net; it takes a lot of sifting through a lot of BS...a lot of patience, and hard work. I want to thank all of you who have helped me in this difficult quest.

I'm currently experiencing nausea and digestion issues, but I assume this is die-off. I'm just so relieved the skin on my chin is nearly perfectly again.

Again, thank you all SO MUCH!!!

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Hey! Glad to hear you finally have some answers (and RELIEF)! Perhaps later, once the yeast is cleared up you can carefully reintroduce these foods one at a time (and not more than once every four days) to check your reactions. I hear the allergies can change as you get yourself back to proper working order.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering if I have that. I have been eating primally for 4 months, but my bloating has NEVER gone away. Sometimes it gets so bad and I get so anxious about it that life itself doesn't even seem real. I just feel withdrawn into my body, stressed, and depressed. Despite all of that, I feel better than I ever have in my life and I'm getting in great shape. My only problem is the bloating. It's constant, doesn't matter what I eat, and occasionally I get brain fog, very irritable, forgetful, low sex-drive, poor retention and cognitive understanding, etc... who should I see about this? Any advice? I've tried taking probiotics, cutting out dairy, eating more slowly and not drinking with my meals, etc... nothing seems to work.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Congrats and let us know how your recovery goes! There are a number of us dealing with candida overgrowth here and I'm always interested in what works for other people. I'm looking into honey as a facial cleanser, I didn't even think of that & I have some raw local honey I could use while I'm sugar-free!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Olive leaf extract is a BIG one. In fact, it's probably the most important. It's an extremely strong anti-fungal, anti-bacterial. Also, absolutely NO fermented foods, INCLUDING apple cider vinegar. NO sugar in ANY form, and NO FRUIT for the first little while. Eat things like sweet potatoes, parsnips, squash in small amounts at first.

My allergies have put me off eggs for a while too. I can't eat yogurt because I have an intolerance to cow's milk. Although I can have kefir.

My new naturopathic doc also said, and I quote: "Candida HATES...HATES..zinc and selenium". Now I'm taking zinc every day. I ate a raw clove of garlic last night with dinner, and oh god, it wasn't pleasant. It burns. AND BURNS. I can still taste it this morning. I'm going to do a search here to see what else I can get my selenium from! Maybe I'll pop into Whole Foods to see if they carry brazil nuts.

Bdilla, bloating and gas is common as a die-off symptom. I've been having it pretty bad over the last few days. You gotta stick it out. Candida lives in your digestive tract, so it makes sense.

Also, find a green/peppermint tea combo, and add some grated ginger to it. And some cloves. AWESOME aid for digestion. I felt MUCH better last night...belched a lot, but hey, the gas has to come out, and it made me feel better. I was finally able to use the washroom too! TMI, I know. Whatever.

Bdilla, you can pm me with any questions you have. I've been dealing with this for a long time now. I'm happy to help. I've already done all the sifting through the interwebs nonsense I would also see a naturopathic doctor, but one that's been recommended to you by family, friends.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I don't know about brazil nuts in particular, but nuts in general carry mold which can increase candida. I would get selenium from a capsule if you can.

I'm low-carb and sugar-free for the next 5 weeks (one week in) and it really sucks. My doc is having me go on a supplement that has oil of oregano (like olive leaf extract), biotin, magnesium, caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco (also good like oil of oregano), and Black Walnut, as well as a very strong probiotic complex. I haven't had any gas or die-off symptoms yet, but the supplement hasn't arrived yet so I've just been on the strong probiotic for the past month or so.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I ate a raw clove of garlic last night with dinner, and oh god, it wasn't pleasant. It burns. AND BURNS. I can still taste it this morning.
    A much more pleasant alternative are these garlic tablets:
    Enzymatic Therapy, Garlinase Fresh, 100 Enteric-Coated Tablets - iHerb.com

One tablet (i.e. one daily serving) has the equivalent of 4 cloves of fresh garlic.

Minagelina is offline Member
    One thing that seems to be working without attacking with tons of antimicrobials is using a larger amount of Soil Based Probiotics. One brand that seems to have a lot of time and science behind it is Body Biotics. You start off easy and then build up your dosage. It is helping some autistic children I know who have horrible candida, bacteria and other pathogens.

An important thing to remember too is that when you kill off candida, other things can pop up like viruses. So the best thing to do is to make sure you have those areas covered and treat all at the same time (and learn which symptoms mean which "bug") so that the others don't overgrow. You can take Allimax, Lauricidin, GSE, Olive Leaf Extract, Oil of Oregano, Biotin, etc., and usually take it starting low and several times a day. You of course, wouldn't do much of this when you are taking SBO's, if at all. If you want to see what I am talking about, here is a blog from an autism mom (she is now not giving the antimicrobials anymore as the SBO's are working for them!):

You are what you eat!: Nutraceuticals for yeast, bacteria, viruses and parasites

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    I have a pdf questionnaire that can help determine if one has candida and how severe it may be. If anyone would be interested let me know I would be happy to share.
    I also have access to a cadida 30 and 60 day program to rid your system of the yeast, it includes suppliments and a detox. It's a step by step program and it works wonders!

I know I replied to this thread yesterday. But I have a feeling the site was having issues. Here we go again.

Nuts and mold? Drat! Figures. Oh well. I bought my brazil nuts from Whole Foods. I'm keeping them in the fridge. Have chomped on 1-3 each day and so far, no outbreak, so nasty side effects. I think I'm ok! But thank you for bringing that to my attention, nameless Coffee is mouldy too. Anyone here off coffee too? I haven't been able to drink it for months! I drink yerba mate instead

Kate, thanks for those garlic tabs. I'll see how I do without the added benefit of garlic. If I can find 'em here in Canada, I'll pick 'em up.

girl scout, I would be curious to see what is on this program of yours. Anything I've missed?

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast