Thread: Lovely tender pork belly roast! page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Lovely tender pork belly roast!

Shop Now
    I first read about pork belly on MDA and had to try it. Used to just fry sliced pork belly in the frying pan, and it was ok but not brilliant.
    Then when I got pregnant I went completely off meat for a month or two. The sight or smell of it was enough to make me vomit! Even when the nausea subsided it still took a while for me to appreciate meat again, and there are still a few things I'm not so keen on that I used to like.
    But I have re-discovered pork belly. I ate the juciest, most tender pork belly on a dinner out at a local hotel, and decided I had to find out how to cook it like that. So I googled and found Jamie Oliver's roast pork belly recipe.

Last time we ate it with big flat mushrooms filled with liver pate and roasted sweet potato. Just chucked the mushrooms in the oven with the meat and the sweet potatoes for the last 30 minutes.
    Delicious!

Has anyone else got pork belly recipes to share by the way?
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

ppham27 is offline Member
    Thit Kho Caramelized Braised Pork and Eggs

This one's my favorite. It's a Vietnamese comfort food. Pork belly + coconut! It's normally eaten with rice, but I just drink up the coconut water and eat it like soup.

Quote Originally Posted by ppham27 View Post
    Thit Kho Caramelized Braised Pork and Eggs

This one's my favorite. It's a Vietnamese comfort food. Pork belly + coconut! It's normally eaten with rice, but I just drink up the coconut water and eat it like soup.
    That looks interesting too. Thanks for sharing!
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for posting the Jamie Olivier recipe. I knew I saw it somewhere but couldn't remember who or where! I will be making my first pork belly this weekend, can't wait!

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    Mmm... that sounds good! I will have to try that too! Thanks for the link.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    No recipe in English on me, but Kagoshima (South Japan) style braised pork belly is among the best dishes I've ever had in my life.
    It's fried and then braised in a soy and brown sugar sauce till the sauce thickens substantially. No idea what else goes into it. The pork they use is a Berkshire breed, called "black pig" in Japanese and is the best pork I've ever eaten.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by livingprimal View Post
    Thank you for posting the Jamie Olivier recipe. I knew I saw it somewhere but couldn't remember who or where! I will be making my first pork belly this weekend, can't wait!
    You're welcome. It's lovely and so easy to make, especially if roast the vegetables with the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    Mmm... that sounds good! I will have to try that too! Thanks for the link.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    No recipe in English on me, but Kagoshima (South Japan) style braised pork belly is among the best dishes I've ever had in my life.
    It's fried and then braised in a soy and brown sugar sauce till the sauce thickens substantially. No idea what else goes into it. The pork they use is a Berkshire breed, called "black pig" in Japanese and is the best pork I've ever eaten.
    Sounds nice, a bit sweet perhaps?
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    I like it pepped up a little.

With the meat at room temperature, pour boiling water over and pat dry - very dry. This will help it crisp up. Rub salt in and dust with cayenne pepper. No oil. Place in the oven at hot as it will go on a wire mesh over a tray. Leave it on high for 30 minutes, then drop the heat to 125C for a few hours.

From there, I either remove the crackling and crisp it up further while shredding or slicing the meat, perhaps spicing it further, or just slice through and serve.

I like the pork to be the main feature, so minimal veggies/sides. Cauliflower and avocado is a nice accompaniment (sort of a chunky guacamole), as is shredded cabbage, even some simple white rice if the pork is well spiced.

Have fun ...