Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Muscle is Responsible for the 'Chest to Chin" in the OHP? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Which Muscle is Responsible for the 'Chest to Chin" in the OHP?

Primal Fuel
    I was experimenting with my OHP in the gym. I can't push 70 lbs off my chest, but when I un-racked it at chin level, sure enough, up it went like nothing. So, I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and if it is indicative of a particular weak muscle & what to do about it? I've tried micro loading before, and my sticky point is 68 lbs. I can do at least 3 reps of 65 lbs, even on caloric deficit. Should I try partial ROM just pushing bar off the chest? Any support I need to be doing (I do dips, chins, pull-ups on parallel bars)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    This might be a bar start position problem. Are your elbows slightly in front of the bar in the start position?
    I can always push more off my chest than I can lock out - the sticking point is "supposed to be" somewhere around nose height when the leverages get all weird. Hope that helps.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps some incline bench??? If you are already running madcow, obvious linear progression has stopped. Maybe work-in a Texas method where you hit them heavy, light, medium through the week?

Are you eating at a deficit? If so, I find my strength gains don't go up but stay constant at a deficit.

Yep, I try to have the elbows straight out, and the bar supported on the upturned palms, as on the SS pics.
    yes, linear progression stopped long ago, but all my other lifts increased at least a little bit over the last few months, except for OHP. Deficit is certainly to blame right now, but it was the same on maintenance.

Can you link me to Texas method? I was planning to switch to 2x a week lifting pushing as much weight as I can for low number of reps building up to 5, in a pyramid, but I am opened to trying something else.

I have never tried inclined bench. I tried sitting on inclined one, and it was really awkward.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i think this is structural, not muscular. my weakest point is when the bar is in front of my face. even after i've hit failure on full R.O.M., i can still do partial reps to lockout. with quite a bit of weight too.
    Last edited by jakey; 02-13-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling!

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    OHP is much, much more difficult for women.

The muscle is the deltoid, which is one of the reasons it's difficult for women.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    OHP is much, much more difficult for women.

The muscle is the deltoid, which is one of the reasons it's difficult for women.
    Dude, my wife's OHP is 195. Did I mention she's Russian? j/k. It's the slowest progression too.

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how progressing from 3x4-3x6 reps would go before upping the weight? Anyone tried something like that before? It would be slow progression, but perhaps it could help.

Thank you. Deltoid is my favorite vanity muscle! Should I try to work in the lateral and inclined raises, or are they useless for strength gain, just hypertrophy?

I wonder how progressing from 3x4-3x6 reps would go before upping the weight? Anyone tried something like that before? It would be slow progression, but perhaps it could help.
    I am not sure, but after failing last time, I went and did a set of 10 on an empty bar. Not sure if it was helping any, maybe the form a tad. I think I will try a few partial ROM, just to start pushing the bar with the 70 lbs off the chest a few times to see if I can push the sticking point.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-14-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast