Thread: Hi, just beginning page

thorN is offline Member

Talking Hi, just beginning

Hi all,

I'm a 23-year-old who's just starting out with the Paleo diet. I'm looking, primarily, to solve a chronic sore throat that I've had for 5 years in addition to gaining energy, removing acne and losing weight. I've started an exercise program involving three weightlifting sessions per week in addition to 45 minutes daily cardio.

I've stocked my fridge with eggs, meat, fruit, nuts and veg. I'm interested in what basic ways there are to improve my cooking: I have salad dressing and a pepper grinder---that's it. Is there a way to cook curry on the Paleo diet?

I plan to eat an omelette for breakfast, salad for lunch and meat/veg in the evenings, in addition to eating fruit, nuts and carrots during the day.

evertastica is offline Member
    Welcome!
    I just wanted to offer a little advice/personal experience with the chronic sore throat. Ever since I began primal/paleo I have not experienced any illness beyond a stomach ache. I noticed that once I cut out gluten, grains, and most dairy I have also had no stuffy noses/sore throats. I have noticed that the minute I add any of these things back in I feel more congested. However, dairy does not affect quite as much usually.

I suggest sticking to the whole foods of meat, eggs, veg, with very limited nut/fruit intake. Add dairy in after eliminating for a few weeks. Stick to just butter/ghee at first when you do.

Don't do the chronic cardio. Weight lifiting sessions sound great, just mix it up and look up some of the programs discussed on here/crossfit blogs. Stick to a fewer long cardio sessions and more high intensity stuff. You'll see better results/feel better. A long walk daily would benefit you more than continuous cardio sessions where your heart rate is semi elevated for too long.

thorN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evertastica View Post
    Welcome!
    I just wanted to offer a little advice/personal experience with the chronic sore throat. Ever since I began primal/paleo I have not experienced any illness beyond a stomach ache. I noticed that once I cut out gluten, grains, and most dairy I have also had no stuffy noses/sore throats. I have noticed that the minute I add any of these things back in I feel more congested. However, dairy does not affect quite as much usually.
    This is really interesting to me because I've had a sore throat for about five years and it causes me a lot of unhappiness. I just realised I used butter today---I forgot that's dairy!

My diet today: 4 egg, pepper and mushroom omelette
    mixed fish salad with french dressing
    nuts, apples, pears.

Don't do the chronic cardio. Weight lifiting sessions sound great, just mix it up and look up some of the programs discussed on here/crossfit blogs. Stick to a fewer long cardio sessions and more high intensity stuff. You'll see better results/feel better. A long walk daily would benefit you more than continuous cardio sessions where your heart rate is semi elevated for too long.
    I'll look into this, thanks for your input.

thorN is offline Member
    I wonder if you could share some details about the nature of your sore throat?

I've had mine ever since I had glandular fever as a teenager. Some doctors have told me it could be caused by sinus problems and/or acid reflux---but I don't have a definite diagnosis.

How long did it take before your throat and congestion symptoms disappeared? I have been eating primal for one week and I haven't noticed any changes yet, although I do feel quite energetic (I think it's because the protein is making me feel full all day long).

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for some motivation/hope that I've finally found the solution to my sore throat.

Today I made primal stir-fry and a big-ass-Cobb Salad for lunch tomorrow---I'm really enjoying cooking and eating primally. The meals I prepare are better now than before (I was never a good cook!)
    Last edited by thorN; 02-20-2012 at 01:33 PM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    For curry, you don't need much beyond meat/veggies, coconut milk, and curry spices. All primal. I like Penzey's spices, but you can find them elsewhere.

thorN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    For curry, you don't need much beyond meat/veggies, coconut milk, and curry spices. All primal. I like Penzey's spices, but you can find them elsewhere.
    Is OK to use off-the-shelf jars of curry paste?

I have some that contain small amounts of modified starch, sugar, Ghee (contains milk), yoghurt, cream and lactic acid.

thorN is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Excellent advice! It's funny coming back to this thread now, I feel like a seasoned primal veteran now!

Primal curry is delicious---meat cooked in fat, delicious veggies and coconut milk is great for taste and fat content.

I recently made a chicken korma with organic chicken, spices and BEETROOT---it turned bright red and looked like blood and guts!