Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: too much fat? page

dannyboycowe is offline Junior Member

too much fat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm loving the foods available through the primal blueprint - but one question -----> healthy fats are recommended to cook with/add to each meal. But how much are we talking about? I'm not adding a whole pound of butter or anything, but should I be using the fat the meat is cooked in as a sauce? How much butter/coconut oil/olive oil should be added to the sauce?

I assume I should just be taking a common sense approach?

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    60% or greater of my daily calories are from fat. I have become lean using mthis approach.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

billp is offline Senior Member
    I keep my big frying pan about half an inch deep in fat, if that is any help. And I never buy meats with no fat on them. No idea how many calories that is as I have never knowingly eaten one and always thought any dietary measure also used to measure gas boiler output might not be all that useful.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I dunno, I watch my calories, so I measure my fats (butter, cream, etc.) and your grassfed meats are leaner in general. I think if you aren't losing weight, you may be eating too many calories and it might be helpful to pay closer attention to how much fat you are eating. Not at all saying to eat low fat, but be aware of how many calories you're eating as it can be easy to be eating 2 or 3 times as many calories as you thought when you begin using fats judiciously.

I eat 1400-1500 calories a day- usually 60% fat, and I just can't not be aware of fats because it doesn't take a lot to make a lot of extra calories. In general, the dog gets bacon grease, I don't eat the chicken fat that cooks off the chicken, though I eat the skin, I don't drain ground meat (mines grass fed and rather lean). I don't eat the fat edging on steaks. I cook a lot in butter and olive oil- but always measure- maybe a tablespoon of butter to 2 servings of veggies.

I made pulled pork, and drained most of the fat off it- honestly- the 1/2 inch of fat that coagulated was kind of gross.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    It varies based on the person and their goals. Aim for .7-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Go on the higher side if you're active. Get your carbs where you need them to feel right for your body composition goals and activity needs. Most people will want to go under 100g/day to lose fat. If you're doing a lot of glycogen-depleting exercise, you may need to get a good hit of carbs after a heavy workout. Then the balance comes from fat. If you feel you have your carbs and protein dialed in and you're still not losing, then cut it back. On the bright side, it's pretty hard to overeat on fat. It really fills you up.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I'd say experiment with what works for you.

Seem like LOTS of people here get 50% or more of their calories from healthy fats. Others do better on less...

Read Mark's "definitive" guides on fats and oils for guidelines on what to seek out/avoid/use in moderation. Then, armed with good knowledge start seeing what works for you and keep in mind there's no need to be fat PHOBIC!

I'm actually discovering something kind of interesting about myself. I'm looking at the possibility that I need to cut my fat intake, but not for the reason(s) you might think. I've been noticing that my appetite is really trailing off lately and it's corresponded with increased fat consumption due to trying "Bulletproof" Coffee in the morning. I'm now reaching a point where it's hard for me to eat enough (in my opinion) protein to preserve my muscle mass. I saw a slight loss in lean body tissue this past week.

My hypothesis is that (for me at least) fat consumption can possibly lead to excessive satiety, which is causing my appetite to wane to the point where I'm not getting enough protein. I'm actually now considering scaling back my fat consumption, not to limit calories, but in order to perk my appetite back up and get the protein I need. The effect of this will actually likely RAISE my caloric intake.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    I would say most of my calories come from fat - pork fat in the morning, olive oil and the fat surrounding the protein at lunch, and the lard I cook dinner with, along with the associated fat there.

I try not to eat too much only because my weekdays are still quite sedentary and particularly in the evenings I don't need all the extra energy.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboycowe View Post
    I'm loving the foods available through the primal blueprint - but one question -----> healthy fats are recommended to cook with/add to each meal. But how much are we talking about? I'm not adding a whole pound of butter or anything, but should I be using the fat the meat is cooked in as a sauce? How much butter/coconut oil/olive oil should be added to the sauce?

I assume I should just be taking a common sense approach?
    Depends on your health, goals, etc.

When I was healing from SAD, fat was as much as 80-90% of my diet. Now it's down to 60-70% since I don't limit my (primal) carbs anymore.

dannyboycowe is offline Junior Member
    guys - thanks for taking the time to reply - some great advice here.

I suppose I ask this question as I have been a comfort eater (and drinker) all my life (...not the drink part, but you get the point). Therefore, filling my mouth EVEN when I am no longer hungry is an easy thing to do.

I like fats (love?), and will happily scoff the fat on bacon, steak, pork, etc...

However - I weighed myself tonight and my results are not good. I think it's a mixture of too much fat and a booze habit I can't kick. I'm addressing the latter point seperately, but know I can overeat very easily.

Should I focus on lean proteins with a measured amount of fat as a side?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'd get the drinking under control before worrying about anything else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast