Thread: resistance bands page

anniegebel Guest

Primal Fuel

Does anyone use resistance bands? I don't have a gym that I can get to or a set of weights and I'm wondering if I'm being to easy on myself during the "lifting heavy things" portion of my primal life. I did my first HIIT two days ago and am still feeling the effects of that, which made me think "hmmm...am I doing enough lifting?" when I got out my bands today.

Thoughts, ideas?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I have a gym and locker room at work but sometimes it's too busy here to workout at lunch so I had to get some basic equipment to workout at home with in a pinch. I use it in my garage so it needed to take up no space.

I built a pullup bar in my garage and bought pushup bars. Bought a weight vest and a set of bands.

The bands I got were TO bodylastics and they work pretty well.

Band resistance feels different than freeweights. Free weight feels hardest at the bottom half of the movement and is constant throughout, bands feel hardest at the top half of the movement (as you stretch them they get harder).

I love them because they take up almost no space and were only $100. The best part is the bands are interchangable... you have handles with metal rings and bands with carabiner clips. So you can just add multiple bands to increase resistance.

The main issue I had with them was for leg work... squats in piticular. My legs can overpower my arms so I build a "barbell" to attach my bands to. I took a 48 inch * 1 1/2 inch wooden dowel and screwed 2 eyehooks into the ends (drill pilot holes first). Bough 2 carabiner clips and 2 12 inch chain extentions. Clips to eyehooks, chain to clips and band to chain. Total cost $8.00

You can use that as you would any barbell movement.

You could just do 1 leg squats but I figured it was worth the $8.00 to have a "barbell"

At the end of the day, resistance is resistance. Just workout hard with them and I'm sure you will see results.

If you're at a point where you're doing more than 12 reps no problem, you need "heavier" bands.

anniegebel Guest

thanks...that makes me feel better. I've worked out in the past, but haven't for quite some time. What I'm doing is being felt, but that HIIT just totally kicked my butt, so I didn't know. I think I just need to get back into it and keep pushing myself and I'll get there. Thanks for the "home gym" ideas!

You should do a max strength routine with them and see if they are "heavy" enough.

dschwendiman is offline Junior Member

Bands are great when starting a new routine, or traveling, but arthurb999 is right, they don't provide consistent resistance throughout the movement. I am a huge fan of some of the strap systems that are out there. TRX is one of the brands (I use a cheaper version, but these guys can be found online). The straps help to incorporate core activation into the movements and allow you to use your own body weight as resistance. Also, because you are working against gravity, the resistance is more consistent throughout the full contraction and extension of the muscles. This helps to ensure that the muscle is being trained properly and not leaving you any weaknesses that could turn into an injury later.

27ko Guest

TO Bodylastics are GREAT! Highly recommended. But there's nothing quite like iron in my opinion!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe for traveling or in a pinch, but I don't care for bands. They feel unnatural or something...Give me my free weights, please.

Maybe all resistance bands aren't created equal and I just have crappy ones...

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

tamo42 is offline Senior Member

+1 for Bodylastics

http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Agreed. IMO, bands can't replace the iron but they have a place. They are extremely portable and take up no space.

Between bodyweight movements and bands, you can have a decent home gym that takes about as much space as 2 college textbooks.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I HAVE RESISTANCE BANDS(well one) and i use it 3 times a week...very simple

i do as many standing curls on each arm as i can, and then do as many standing forward presses(like bench press but standing) with them as i can...stretch arms out...repeat if i can i try to do it 3 times but sometimes the 3rd time is humorous.

besides that all i do is take walks in the sun!