Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cardio page

Dragonfly32 is offline Member

cardio

Shop Now
    do you need cardio for weight loss? or is LHT enough? i actually enjoy running (ie slow jog lol) on the treadmill but not sure if its doing any good, thank you

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Eh, I think the forum is divided on this... personally, I can't think of anything more miserable than spending time on a treadmill.

If you're lifting real heavy, the kind where you are actually close to being out of breath after you put the weight down, you may not need any extras.

I've been told some of the traditional old 'cardio' is good as a follow-up to some HIIT activities, like if you hit the hill for some sprints some people say doing a short-ish jog after that helps as the initial HIIT session releases fatty acids that you can then 'burn' with your slow job. I have no idea if any of that is true.

You say you enjoy it though, so research it some, but better yet: experiment. Take some measurements and spend a month doing something one way, then see how it went for you and try something else. I think we want to be pick the perfect combination of things, but don't spend enough time finding out what things our actual bodies respond best to.

For instance. I'd like to sprint weekly right, but I don't do it, mostly because I have this stupid idea that if I don't sprint first thing in the morning then sprinting any other time is a waste of time. This is pretty wrong, sprinting at any hour is better than not doing it ever, but I was letting perfect be the enemy of good which ironically resulted in no activity at all. Another way to say this is, somebody who sprints in the afternoon is doing better than someone who never sprints, but the person sprinting first thing in the am is maybe doing a little better than the one that sprints in the afternoon... I hope that helps and isn't confusing.

Dragonfly32 is offline Member
    lol thank you not confusing at all i'm hoping to get a body fat measurement done today so will start there and get it done again in a month or so see how we go, being plateau'd sux!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I love cardio but I honestly no longer believe it is any good for anything other than getting out for some sunshine and perhaps, if you enjoy it, fun. I've been doing floor body-weight-type exercises twice a week and finding it helps me with my main fun activity--hiking--way more than cardio every day ever did.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    I have a short cardio time before I hit the weights. I personally feel like it helps crank my metabolism. It certainly helps get me "In the zone"
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly32 View Post
    do you need cardio for weight loss? or is LHT enough? i actually enjoy running (ie slow jog lol) on the treadmill but not sure if its doing any good, thank you
    If you don't like cardio then other than (perhaps) as a warm up/cool down tool before and after doing Sprints and LHT workouts don't do cardio.

There's very little that suggests to me that you're going to accomplish much FAT LOSS (forget about weight loss, you want to lose FAT, not muscle and often times the weight loss that people see doing a bunch of cardio is lost muscle tissue)

After playing around with stuff and doing a little self-experimentation, I'm pretty convinced that you'd be better off taking that time you would put into cardio and either get more sleep or just do some low level walking. Either of those will go further to FAT loss than cardio -- the sleep because it will help normalize your hormones and limit the build up of Cortisol which will allow your body to reach a fat burning state and the walking because "low level" activity that stays in the 55-75% MHR is aerobic and will allow your body to naturally burn fat. Too much "cardio" in the 75-85% MHR range is anaerobic and won't burn fat, it will burn glycogen and will start to put your body in a hormonal state where it will catabolize muscle.

Now, if you're like me and actually enjoy getting out and running, I don't see a reason why you can't incorporate it into the PBF plan. Like me right now, I'm training to run a half marathon in April. I now do ALL of my runs at a slow enough pace that I stay in that low-level 55-75% MHR range. I also don't run nearly as much mileage as I used to. I sprint 1X a week and LHT 2X a week as well. After my longest runs, I try to eat some Primal friendly carbs in order to keep my glycogen stores topped off and try to preserve my muscle mass.

I realize that while I'm doing this, I'm probably not going to see much FAT loss since I'm not really putting my body in position to do that. That's ok, though as I like running and doing the occasional race. Once it's over in April, if I'm so inclined I might follow a regimen that will allow fat loss by doing more walking with the occasional (low level) run just to keep the rust off. I'll still keep Sprinting 1X a week and LHT 2X a week.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 02-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    No, you need a caloric deficit to lose weight. Performing cardiovascular exercise can help create a caloric deficit. Use it as you see fit

ryantreb is offline Junior Member

Running is an inefficient means of weight loss

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    No, you need a caloric deficit to lose weight. Performing cardiovascular exercise can help create a caloric deficit. Use it as you see fit
    The net calorie burn (calories burned from exercise - resting metabolic rate) of running a mile is about 105 calories in a 9:30 mile according to this.

And there are about 3500 calories in a pound of bodyfat.

In order to burn 1lb of body fat from running, one would need to run 33 miles.

If you enjoy running, by all means do so. But don't do it for weight loss. Have you tried intermittent fasting? I've lost close to 30lbs in the last 6 weeks doing primal/IF.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I am a believer in low level aerobic in the 55-75% range lower and slower is actually better for me. I enjoy walks and hikes when the weather is miserable the treadmill is a nice substitute. I can reach my goals easily for moving around alot at a slow pace by simpoly hitting a treadmill or a walk or a bike ride for 30 minutes a day every day. This is in addition to LHT and sprinting.

Just do what you are comfortable with but i think that the walking is important part of managing your blood lipids(stimulates HDL production) and habitualizing your body to burn fat.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryantreb View Post
    The net calorie burn (calories burned from exercise - resting metabolic rate) of running a mile is about 105 calories in a 9:30 mile according to this.

And there are about 3500 calories in a pound of bodyfat.

In order to burn 1lb of body fat from running, one would need to run 33 miles.

If you enjoy running, by all means do so. But don't do it for weight loss. Have you tried intermittent fasting? I've lost close to 30lbs in the last 6 weeks doing primal/IF.
    Or you could do a HIIT workout twice a week and burn 2000 calories. "To lose weight" is a pretty vague statement. It all depends on current condition/state of the person. I use cardio (very minimal) to help with fat burning on leangains. I wouldn't recommend cardio for the sole purpose of weight loss, but it does have it's place when your diet is dialed in. For most people they feel better after doing it and feeling good goes a long way when trying to lose weight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast