Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Plateau Help page

moderngrok is offline Member

Early Plateau Help

Ok everyone, I need help!

I've been reading/posting some here and there, in particular been reading about plateaus, etc. Here's my situation:

I've been doing P90X for years now. I always lose a lot up until August and then get to eating junks (read: sweets) and gain some weight back. A big part of this is I get burned out on the flavorless CW diet I was following. However, I always lost, and lost fairly consistently on it.

I moved to Primal the beginning of this year trying to find a style of eating that would leave me satisfied and would allow me to not burn-out by the fall.

I had bloated up pretty well leading to January 1st (ate tons of sugar most of December, went on a cruise, etc) and started out around 190lbs with 19.90% body fat.

In my first week, I lost 9 pounds, but attributed that to holiday bloat, flushing toxins, etc. After 2 weeks, I was down 11 pounds, had gone from a 39" to 37.75" waist. In 4 weeks, I was down a total of 12 pounds, my chest was down from 43" to 41" and my waist down to 37". Body fat had dropped to 18.3%.

In the last two weeks, though, I've lost nothing. In fact, I think my average weight is hovering back up around 180 lbs. My waist moved down a measly .25" in 2 weeks and my body fat only dropped to 18.1%.

Now, I know people have momentary plateaus, but for someone who is used to losing consistently on a CW diet I'm a bit concerned why I'm not losing much using Primal. I know I'm not overeating (if anything, I may be slightly under what is really needed).

So, sample meals (this is around 95% of my meals, how they look, etc).

Upon waking: Workout

Breakfast
    Bacon or Sausage, eggs, sometimes an omelet with veggies and salsa
    Occasionally some strawberries

Lunch
    Salad or leftover veggies from supper the night before
    Some amount of leftover meat

Supper
    A meat source, a veggie source, sometimes a sweet potato

I will use dairy every now and then and used to take an afternoon snack of a fruit/almond butter or some nuts, but I've cut that out as well. I don't count calories every day, but will every now and then make entries to see where I am. I'm always under 100g of carbs (many times hovering around the 50g mark), and usually hit around 1800 calories.

So....what do I need to adjust? What am I doing that is slowing me up?

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Bacon and sausage are fatty and probably not a good dietary staple if you're looking to get into elite shape. I'd look for leaner meat sources.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Just a thought, but would it be possible for you to try working out in the evening before dinner? I know the Leptin Reset requires this, and it could make a difference (though I couldn't explain to you why).

P90X is your only type of workout? AFAIK, that's all cardio. How "easy" do you feel these exercises are for you? I would encourage you to look into getting a kettlebell to use at home to incorporate the LHT (lifting heavy things) aspect of primal fitness, or some other kind of weight. KBs are just convenient, IMO.

And overall, how do you feel? Anything that doesn't feel optimal? That could help pinpoint potential underlying issues that need addressing.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

fast!

Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    Intermittent Fasting

I'm all into this now since it comes easier and easier.
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

Last edited by barefootbaby; 02-13-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    ^That too! Also for leaner sources of meat, lean steak with omelettes = the best.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If you want to lose actual fat, you should not feed your body all the dietary fat it needs. You should force it to use its reserves. This might be why you have had better luck with CW diet, because it's low fat.

I don't know what P90X is but it sounds strenuous. I also don't know whether 180lbs is really fat for you or not. My guess is that you're pretty close to normal weight and very active. You may have better luck with higher carbohydrates on your workout days and you might have better luck changing your workouts. I downloaded the fitness ebook that Mark offers and his fitness advice makes a LOT of sense. In fact, unbeknownst to me, I sort of stumbled into something quite similar and it's been working well for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Increase your weight training and up your carbos on those days. Of course, just clean sources (white rice, sweet potatoes, and fruit...in that order). See how that goes for a couple weeks w/o weighing yourself.

VLC just isn't for everyone.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'm suprised your body works as well as it does with how much you've abused it. Give it time to heal.

MyPrimalLife is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Bacon and sausage are fatty and probably not a good dietary staple if you're looking to get into elite shape. I'd look for leaner meat sources.
    This makes no sense. If fat doesn't make you fat (the CORE of primal nutrition), then this is a meaningless response to his question. So are you arguing that fat makes you fat?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast