Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Nail Biting Primal? page

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member

Is Nail Biting Primal?

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading about gut flora and fauna and the role dirt played in gut health and digestion. Well, I work in agriculture and my nails are black with dirt every day. Not that I would ever recommend biting your nails in the third world where I live, but I was wondering if there was an evolutionary reason for people to bite their nails? Does this contribute to increasing gut biodiversity? Does it strengthen the immune system? Of course in modern times, there are so many more viruses, bacteria, and parasites because of the abundance of contact with other humans, but I'm talking about way back in the time of Grok.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I always just thought it was a nervous habit from stress or whatever. But as long as it's "clean" (LOL) dirt, i.e. not full of pesticides and junk, it's certainly not going to hurt you any and might well be good for your gut.

I would guess Grok-type people never had a whole lot of fingernail to bite, though, since their daily living probably wore them down fairly short in most cases.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

I can't imagine Grok having very long finger nails. They would tend to break or bend while taking down a mammoth leaving him susceptible to infection. Even cats seem to keep the length of their nails in check. It's not that I have a habit of nervously biting my finger nails. If anything, I will bite the corner of one and carefully pull it across the length in the absence of proper tools, a beauty salon or any desire to go to one.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Don't people eat dirt doing that whole Earthing thing? I can't imagine that it would be bad for you, as Unceph said, if it is not full of pesticides and junk.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Haha, I think that's another brand of crazy. Aren't those the barefooted people who buy electric sheets to ground themselves to the earth? It sounds a lot like those folks who wear tin foil hats to me.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    nail biting is more cannibalistic :P

actually i kind of liken it to tigers pacing their cage
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    If it means anything, before discovering primal I would constantly chew my finger nails(I would consciously try to stop sometimes) to the point that it would hurt and I've also worn away some of my teeth from a couple decades of biting. After discovering primal I have no urges whatsoever to chew on them. So if you ask me, chewing on your finger nails is not primal... although I do clean underneath them with my teeth sometimes when they get long enough.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I believe they picked up the right kinda rock and went over the tip of the fingernail.
    That's what I automatically did as a little kid. My mother hardly ever had to come at me with clippers.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    It is a disgusting vile habit. The nails pick up all kinds of nasty bacteria even if you wash your hands regularly. They should NEVER be put in your mouth.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    It is a disgusting vile habit. The nails pick up all kinds of nasty bacteria even if you wash your hands regularly. They should NEVER be put in your mouth.
    Oh please. 1) "all kinds of nasty bacteria" that come from some magical source that only affects fingernails, so the same bugs aren't already in your eyes, mouth, lungs, urinary tract, etc? 2) Who the hell never puts their finger in their mouth?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast