Thread: Looking for simple recipes that include almond flour page

chrisfield is offline Junior Member

Looking for simple recipes that include almond flour

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Particularly for baked goods, treats, etc. I get totally overwhelmed when I look at recipes that have 10-12 ingredients that I don't have on hand, but I just ordered my first bulk order of almond flour (4lbs for $32 shipped!)

Please post your best and most SIMPLE almond flour recipes here. Thanks!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Why almond flour? IMO it's worse than wheat flour. The caloric density is massive and it is loaded with omega 6 so it's extremely prone to oxidation. Baking with almond flour is a disaster waiting to happen. There are so many better options.

Coconut flour is a good option, but you need specialized recipes because it's so different than other "flours". I recommend the following for all-purpose baking:

3/4 cup white rice flour
    1/8 cup tapioca starch
    1/8 cup potato starch

You can substitute that 1:1 for all-purpose white flour. For a more "whole wheat" feel, remove 1/4 cup of white rice flour and substitute 1/4 cup of sorghum flour in place.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

newlife77 is offline Member
    Hi there, wouldn't the above combo be quite carb heavy? And I assume ur cool with eating rice? Do u have to use any xanthan/guar gum to help with binding etc?

I do like the idea of having a flour combo that I cud use in place of "normal flour" in recipes cos since goin P I've had to completely de-work the way I see, prepare and cook any baked goods! As it is, I find myself *needing* them less and less but in the beginning they were v important in slowly weaning me off the CW way of eating.

I have cooked with both cc and almond flour and cc is very difficult, tho I keep going and have had some better results. The first time I baked with almond it worked a treat and has done ever since so I find it a lot easier! However I really cut back when I learnt about the omega ratios. However I like that its adding protein and less carbs - and prob less carbs than above combo?

For chrisfield - check out Elana's Pantry website where she has lots of almond flour recipes, I have her book too, really good! Good luck in ur endeavor in alternative baking - I found it a but of a long road with mistakes along the way but getting there!

H x
    Last edited by newlife77; 02-13-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newlife77 View Post
    Hi there, wouldn't the above combo be quite carb heavy? And I assume ur cool with eating rice? Do u have to use any xanthan/guar gum to help with binding etc?
    There's nothing wrong with carbohydrate. The problem is toxic food. Primal is a low toxin diet, not a low carbohydrate diet. The fact is, tapioca, white rice and potatoes are extremely low toxin, while baked almond meal is very high toxin. The unfortunate thing about metabolic syndrome is it ruins your ability to metabolize carbohydrate, but it's not the carbohydrate that causes metabolic syndrome (just like eating cholesterol doesn't give you bad cholesterol numbers). Eating toxic food (grains, legumes, baked nut meals), chemicals (artificial sweeteners, colorings, and chemical additives), isolated sugars (sucrose, HFCS, agave syrup, boiled honey, isolated fructose powder) and constant snacking is what gives you metabolic syndrome. Baking with almond meal is far more dangerous than simply eating a carbohydrate rich treat every once in a blue moon. Your body was made to metabolize carbohydrate. It was not made to metabolize large quantities of oxidized omega 6 polyunsaturated fat.

I do like the idea of having a flour combo that I cud use in place of "normal flour" in recipes cos since goin P I've had to completely de-work the way I see, prepare and cook any baked goods! As it is, I find myself *needing* them less and less but in the beginning they were v important in slowly weaning me off the CW way of eating.
    The truth is, if your metabolism is too messed up to handle carbohydrate, you shouldn't be using any substitutes at all. Anything else is, simply put, worse for you. You may be able to get away with small amounts of coconut flour - and I do like the idea of coconut flour - but it is extremely high in fiber and murder on your digestive system. If you're metabolically deranged, coconut flour is your best option, but it's like choosing a knife wound over a gunshot wound.

I have cooked with both cc and almond flour and cc is very difficult, tho I keep going and have had some better results. The first time I baked with almond it worked a treat and has done ever since so I find it a lot easier! However I really cut back when I learnt about the omega ratios. However I like that its adding protein and less carbs - and prob less carbs than above combo?
    Nuts are incomplete proteins. If you are counting protein, nut, vegetable and legume proteins shouldn't count. The only true complete protein sources worth counting are from meat, dairy, eggs and, oddly enough, potatoes - which are the ideal human foods. I don't care how heralded leafy greens are - I don't believe them to be optimum human food as our digestive system is not made to handle large quantities of fiber. It's made to handle meat, starch and fruit. IMO it's no coincidence that these are the sources of protein that our bodies consider complete while the others are not.

For chrisfield - check out Elana's Pantry website where she has lots of almond flour recipes, I have her book too, really good! Good luck in ur endeavor in alternative baking - I found it a but of a long road with mistakes along the way but getting there!

H x
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

newlife77 is offline Member
    Choco, thanx for taking the time to write all that....the problem is, as a relative newbie to all this, I feel there is SOOOOO much info and new stuff tk learn and a lot of can be contradictory! A lot of what u say is different to others, even Mark himself! All I can do is read read read and try to figure what bits feel or seem right to me and what fit into my life and how my body works. I appreciate this is gonna take a lot of time but I never expected this to be a quick fix way of life - I want to explore and find what right for me and my body.

So I am not at all disputing anything u say - I don't have the scientific knowledge to do so but have to let u know I'm not saying any of what I said out of ignorance - just kinda what I've learnt on my journey so far!

Thanx
    H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

Choco, thanx for taking the time to write all that....the problem is, as a relative newbie to all this, I feel there is SOOOOO much info and new stuff tk learn and a lot of can be contradictory! A lot of what u say is different to others, even Mark himself! All I can do is read read read and try to figure what bits feel or seem right to me and what fit into my life and how my body works. I appreciate this is gonna take a lot of time but I never expected this to be a quick fix way of life - I want to explore and find what right for me and my body.

So I am not at all disputing anything u say - I don't have the scientific knowledge to do so but have to let u know I'm not saying any of what I said out of ignorance - just kinda what I've learnt on my journey so far!

Thanx
    H x
    The thing I love about Mark is he's not religious about this, unlike, say, vegans. His opinions change with time, and he's shifted on his stances in a lot of areas versus when The Primal Blueprint was originally written. He recently did a pretty good write-up about nut-based baked goods.

Are Roasted Nuts Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

He ran into the same problem I did - there's no research out there showing how quickly nut meals go rancid and how damaging they are. From my research, it's my personal opinion that metabolic syndrome is not caused by carbohydrate, just like dietary cholesterol does not create bad cholesterol. Rather, high omega 6 diets, toxic foods (grains, legumes) and chemicals (like artificial sweeteners, colorings, emulsifiers, preservatives...all that nasty stuff) cause metabolic syndrome, and carbs are the victims of the fallout and unfortunately get the blame. It's like shooting the messenger. IMO, it's healthier to bake with clean starch that your body was designed to metabolize. Your body wasn't made to ingest large amounts of omega 6 from any source, especially oxidized omega 6 after it's been ground up and baked. The truth is, if you can't handle carbs, you should avoid all baking and only add it back in in tiny quantities after your metabolism heals. Of course, it's always best to cut it out 100%, but what fun is that? Even I eat Ben & Jerry's once a month as a treat.