Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "why you should be eating grains" ...UNwise traditions? page

mojo is offline Junior Member

"why you should be eating grains" ...UNwise traditions?

Primal Fuel
    just read this very disturbing post that may be misleading many folks in their quest for better health without grains. i am surprised that this info is coming from someone who has plenty of good advice regarding other aspects of traditional diets and their related health benefits. i guess my first question would be: "why even bother spending the energy on preparing a food group that offers you so little in return"?

even with the proper preparation of grains some traditions are not wise for many...if not most.
    Why You Should Be Eating Grains
    Last edited by mojo; 02-10-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Oh good lord. Read through the comments after the article for her responses to people's questions. She immediately dismisses any research that might go against her advice. People bring up things like the Wheat Belly book and other research and it's clear she has not read any of it, and probably never will. Just the kind of "expert" I want to get advice from.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

gated312 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    Oh good lord. Read through the comments after the article for her responses to people's questions. She immediately dismisses any research that might go against her advice. People bring up things like the Wheat Belly book and other research and it's clear she has not read any of it, and probably never will. Just the kind of "expert" I want to get advice from.
    Yikes. I think the comments are the worst part. Not only does she offer little (if any) justification for her point, but she altogether ignores some pretty strong arguments that are simply asking her to really explain 'why'. Some 'expert'.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I keep trying to find out what is exactly entitled in preparing grains traditionally? Which grains? Which can just be soaked? Like if I soak buckwheat or millet overnight, is it okay to then boil and consumme it? And with fermenting, is it all just about sour dough? Or do you use some special kind of yeast? And what on earth can you possibly sprout from what you have in a regural store? Oh, sure, one gotta pay to get this information? If you are so adamant about it, give a good, detailed account on what you want people to do with which grain. And why it's always about wheat??? Argh.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Sarah bases everything she posts about off of Sally Fallon's Nourishing Tradtions. Everything. If Sally said it, it's gospel.

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Hahah she says in order to be healthy you really HAVE to have grains in your diet; but eating grains isn't healthy, unless prepared traditionally, which involves purchasing whole wheat berries, sprouting them, then dehydrating them, then grinding them into flour, then soaking that flour in something like yogurt, THEN baking it into bread.

Is this mama who goes to school in the evenings, home schools two children the rest of the time, leads LLL meetings, runs the home gonna do that? For sure...

beastie is offline Member
    Ugh. This is surprisingly timely. I feel like crap today: So that’s why I don’t eat wheat… « Forgotten Domestic Arts

(I added a link back to her post, just for fun. I did "properly prepare" my grains, dang it, and it didn't make a lick of difference.)
    Primal cookery, forgotten skills, natural birth
    www.forgottendomesticarts.com

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Ugh~ just finished listening to Nancy Snyderman saying people shouldn't self diagnose a gluten intolerance~ it requires testing by a doctor. Well, I know she has an MD after her name and I don't, but I don't have the classic symptoms of gluten intolerance either. If it hadn't been for 'being my own doctor' I'd probably be on the band-aid boat of side-effect loaded pharmaceuticals, since the doctors (dermatologists) I went to with my eczema made it clear they had no idea what to do, other than use cortisone.

I really wish TV doctors would stop with the CW and actually realize that it doesn't always take invasive (expensive) tests to uncover the root cause of a food related issue!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    WOW she says corn is the only GM grain! Wheat may not be strictly GM but it has been so hybridized and crossbred in such a short time that it amounts to the same thing.
    And the amount of work to prepare those grains so they don't kill her I would rather just eat a steak.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    which involves purchasing whole wheat berries, sprouting them, then dehydrating them, then grinding them into flour, then soaking that flour in something like yogurt, THEN baking it into bread.
    If I am not mistaken, it also involves catching real yeast from the air which takes a few days of fermenting and is not always successful.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast