Thread: Valentine's Day | Not Sugar Cookies with Almond Cream Cheese Frosting page

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member

Valentine's Day | Not Sugar Cookies with Almond Cream Cheese Frosting

Share the healthy love this Valentines' Day by making these healthy Not Sugar Cookies for your friends and family. While you can certainly make substitutions, like butter for the coconut oil or coconut sugar for the erythritol, the original recipe is dairy-free and sugar-free, including the frosting. They are also low-carb and could be considered primal or even paleo. All three of the boys, my handsome husband and our two teenage sons, give these their stamp of approval.

Not Sugar Cookies with Almond Cream Cheese Frosting
    Recipe by Healthy Living How To

Prep Time: 90 minutes (includes chill time)
    Cook Time: 12 minutes
    Makes: 28 Cookies
    Nutrition Info: 90 cals | 8g fat | 3g carb | 2g fiber | 3g protein

Ingredients
    • 1 c. Homemade Unblanched Almond Flour
    • 1/2 c. Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour
    • 1 tsp. Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
    • 1 tsp. Baking Soda
    • 1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
    • 1/2 tsp. NOW Guar Gum Powder
    • 1/8 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
    • 1/2 c. Smart Sweet Non-GMO Erythritol Granules
    • 3 Large Organic Cage-Free Eggs, Room Temp
    • 1 tsp. Organic Vanilla Extract
    • 1/3 c. Coconut Oil, Melted
    • 1 Recipe Almond Cream Cheese Frosting

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl, scramble eggs, vanilla extract and coconut oil.

3. Add wet to dry and mix well with a spoon. With your hands form dough into a large ball and chill for 30-45 minutes covered.

4. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper and cut into desired shapes. With a spatula, transfer cutouts onto a parchment lined baking sheet.

5. Bake at 350 F for 12 minutes or until lightly brown. Completely cool, then pipe with almond cream cheese frosting.

6. Store cookies in freezer or refrigerator.

How To Make Almond Cream Cheese Frosting

1. Soak overnight 1 c. Raw Almonds.
    2. Discard the soaking water, rinse and drain.
    3. Blanch almonds by covering with hot (near boiling) water, letting sit for 5 minutes, then popping off the skin.
    4. In a Vitamix or food processor process until smooth:

• Soaked & Blanched Almonds
    • 1/3 c. water
    • 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
    • 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
    • 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
    • 1 tsp. Organic Vanilla
    • 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
    • 1/16th tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
    • 4 Tbsp. Smart Sweet Non-GMO Erythritol Granules

Add frosting to a piping bag with a star-tip and have fun decorating!

Recipe Notes

We invested in a Vitamix this past summer and ever since, I've been making my own almond flour. You can certainly use store bought almond flour in this recipe. The presentation could be improved with a blanched almond flour, if that's important to you. If you haven't used guar gum in your baking, it is recommended by those in the know when baking without gluten. I keep some on hand and throw it in recipes when I remember. Not everyone is on the same page when it comes to baking with erythritol, and because I haven't put up my own post yet regarding it's health safety, I am sending you to Mark Sisson's post regarding this sugar alcohol. Personally, I like to keep the carbs low, which is why I use this alternative sweetener. There are a few different brands of this sweetener on the market and I recently switched to a verified non-GMO source. It's slightly below freezing here in Minnesota, and I kept these cookies in my garage overnight. They soften up just right in about ten minutes at room temperature. Finally this recipe was inspired by it's unhealthy counterpart, The Best Rolled Sugar Cookie found at All Recipes as well a healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie found at the Spunky Coconut.
    Last edited by Vanessa120; 02-10-2012 at 07:42 AM.