Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Detox - is it real? page

huntingBears is offline Senior Member

Detox - is it real?

Primal Fuel
    I've been primal about 10 days and my bowel movements have increased to around 2 a day and my skin has gotten really bad (one of the main reasons for me doing this diet is energy and better skin)
    Is there any anecdotal or scientific evidence that once you cut excess carbs, grains and sugars from your diet your body begins to detox itself, expelling toxins through bowel movements and out of your skin? could this be why its worse at these intial stages??
    I really need someone to tell me this is the case and my skin will get a little worse and then start to get a lot better, still very tired as well, i know it's early days but really need some motivation right now

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Detox is not real.

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    I guess it depends on how you define 'detox'. There are quite a lot of people who can offer anecdotal evidence about it in varying degrees and using varying definitions. I've leaned in the direction of it being complete bunk until recently when I started taking iodine and got symptoms that fell in line with something called bromide/bromine detox - release of bromide/bromine from iodine receptors into the bloodstream with negative side effects. I'm still on the fence about 'die-off symptoms', but have experienced a 'detox' of sorts with halogens...so from my perspective, there's some truth to detox.

Your body reacts to what you ingest - how could it not? It's the fuel you put in it. If you've changed your diet, you should be able to expect some changes in your body.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Most folks suffer with grain withdrawal symptoms for 3 weeks or so after starting the Paleo Diet. So this is likely what is happening to you, only just more severe.

Clabbergirl is correct, you WILL detox your body of toxic chemicals if you start supplementing with iodine. Most Americans are SEVERELY deficient in iodine. See this link for details:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post713855

Grizz

thanks guys, this was more what i was hoping to here!
    I know i need to give this lifestyle more time for change but i just feel demotivated at the moment as things seem to be geting a litte worse
    Grizz, I've been looking into the iodine thread, do you think this would be a good start for me? (i live in the UK)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    The general consensus is that getting nutrients from food is better than by supplement, but it's not as easy to get exact doses that way, and not always cost or time effective.

Do a search in the forum box up top for acne and you will also find many, many threads about acne and the primal diet. You aren't alone in this and it does seem to clear up on its own with time and/or slight modifications. Everyone is different and your mileage may vary.

thanks clabbergirl, i will look at some of those threads for acne
    those links are just to dried seaweed from amazon because the tescos near me only sells the roasted kind i read that that process of roasting removes a lot of the minerals

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Funny, cutting out grains and dairy improved my acne greatly. Also, not combining fat/carbs helped a lot.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast