Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: try for 100%, achieve 80% page

ksif is offline Junior Member

try for 100%, achieve 80%

Shop Now
    is achieving 80% primal per day different than achieving 80% over the course of a week (so I'm thinking of a scenario in which I'm eating great primal food all week, then taking a "day off" of primal versus a scenario where I eat some non-primal food every day). I think the two might be different in terms of obtaining the advantages of a primal diet & lifestyle. feedback please?

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Physically, I don't know; but mentally if you feel you need a whole day without restrictions you're possibly setting yourself up for failure. It sounds like you're denying yourself and forcing through 6 days a week, and the 1 day off is when you're relaxed. This'll probably get tiring after a while. It might be better to train yourself not to feel as though you're missing out by eating primal.

Also how severe a departure would this 1 day off be?

@lex is offline Senior Member
    My personal opinion is that if you're stressing yourself out and struggling to eat 100% paleo then you shouldn't aim for 100% right away and ease yourself into it.Stress has been shown to be detrimental to all species on this planet,and stressing over something as vital as food isn't a great recipe for overall health and happiness. So if you need to have a cheat meal or not eat a paleo meal then go ahead,it wont completely undo all your hard work and effort, but keep the goal of eating completely paleo in your mind at all times and slowly strive for it.

Another point to bring up is in some social situations eating paleo isn't an option. My dad turned 56 recently and at his party there wasn't any paleo food, just the typical cake and ice cream. I could have easily refused to eat the stuff, but I didn't, because that would have put a damper on the party and there was no need for me to derail the fun to explain why I wont eat something that my mother spent time and effort cooking to celebrate my dads birthday.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    The 80% "rule" is not a license to eat crap some of the time on a regular basis. It's a mindset. Strive for perfection but don't sabotage yourself with guilt because you slipped up somewhere along the line or willfully choose not to adhere(social situations, whatever). At least... that's how I perceive it.

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    I think of the 80% as being very long term... like, if you've been eating primally 100% of the time when you cook at home, don't worry about it if now and then you eat a restaurant meal with some sugar in the salad dressing and a few noodles in the soup. Or, when you've been staying very primal for a year and you go on vacation, eat the local fare without feeling guilty (as long as you aren't gluten intolerant or have other reasons why eating grains will make you sick immediately.) I save my 20% for parties, travel, and other times when I can't eat in my own home. My home, where I control the food supply, is 100% primal.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Take a day off from what? From your health? From delicious, real food? So you can do what? Make yourself sick? Eat artificial chemical food-lab crap? I just don't get that kind of thinking. I can see having a piece of cake and ice cream at a party once in a while, but planning to eat crap 20% of the time makes no sense. Even less sense is the "time off" part, as if eating great food is a prison sentence.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    ^+1. Strive for 100% and recognize that it is not always feasible for a whole host of reasons.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwarehank View Post
    The 80% "rule" is not a license to eat crap some of the time on a regular basis. It's a mindset. Strive for perfection but don't sabotage yourself with guilt because you slipped up somewhere along the line or willfully choose not to adhere(social situations, whatever). At least... that's how I perceive it.
    +1. I think having a cheat meal on a regular basis is a way for you to set yourself up for failure. This only means that you SUFFER all week to have that epic cheat meal like your reward for being good. It doesnt change your mindset or teach you to find new foods that you enjoy. That 20% should be mostly unplanned and for some good reasons... like a social situation... or maybe you want to go out to dinner once in awhile.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Even if you think you're 100%, the odds are you are being deceived somewhere.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    as the above poster said .. its best to learn that being primal is a GOOD thing, not a punishment ..

and most people that say they are 100% are probably more like 95% because we get cheated on ingredients in things or this or that if we eat something we didnt buy/grow and then cook ...

im VERY happily 95% primal (assuming somewhere i am taking in stuff i didnt know about), i shoot for 100% and i never miss anything
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast