Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting post super heavy workout and then eating a lot of carbs. Ok or not? page

Fasting post super heavy workout and then eating a lot of carbs. Ok or not?

Primal Fuel
    I usually workout during my lunch break and I was wondering if waiting 3-4 hours after my heaviest lifting days to do a carb up would harm at all.

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    You should be fine. Maybe take some BCAAs afterwards if you're that concerned.

i suspect it's not optimal...but should be fine.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I usually eat 1 hour after a workout. If I were you, in this case I'd either carry around a few hard boiled eggs, some beef jerky or just whip up a good whey protein shake to hold you over. 3-4 hours is kind of long, but it's not going to HURT you.

I don't really see the point of BCAA's post-workout. Pre-workout I get it - they cause a massive insulin spike without any dietary calories. This upregulates your hormones and puts you in an anabolic mode while still allowing you to train fasted. However, BCAA's post-workout doesn't seem to make sense to me if you're not taking in any calories. You're spiking your insulin - which is going to crush your elevated HGH - and you're not giving yourself and nutrition for the insulin to shuttle into your muscles for growth and recovery. IMO, I see BCAA's post-workout in the presence of no nutrition as a no-no. At least if you fast post-workout you'll see a prolonged HGH spike and therefore additional fat loss. And the endorphin rush is awesome, assuming you're lifting heavy.

My opinion.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-09-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't really see the point of BCAA's post-workout.
    You're all about leangains lately. I'm sure you've read Martin's thoughts on this, yes?

Early Morning Fasted Training | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

The way I understand it, it's not for "growth and recovery," but more as a stop gap to get ya through to the post work out meal, where the real growth and recovery will start. Though... I'm no scientist.

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    Yea, I was recommending basically on the leangains protocol. If OP is intentionally fasting I think BCAAs could be useful. I don't personally take them post, but I do pre. Post workout is when I happen to break the fast and go crazy with the food.

I understand the concept of BCAA's. I see no point in taking them post-workout in the absence of calories. The only purpose of BCAA's is to spike your insulin. That's what they do. The BCAA's, particularly L-valine, create an insulin spike that makes white bread blush. They are massively insulinogenic. But what's the point of creating a huge insulin spike if there's no nutrition to shuttle into your muscles? Pre-workout it makes sense. Post workout sans calories, I just see no purpose.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read an official explanation from Martin Berkhan, but I think the point of the BCAAs post-workout is to prevent catabolism (help you retain muscle mass). I read a good article on insulin a while back, wish I could remember where, that said that insulin functions as much as a "brake" (anti-catabolic) as it does as an "accelerator" (anabolic). So while its anabolic properties may not be going to use since you aren't taking in any nutrients, you're still getting the anti-catabolic affect to prevent your body from breaking down your muscles for protein until you actually eat. At least that's my theory.

I understand that, but levels of human growth hormone and testosterone post-workout are elevated as well. It is my understanding that spiking your insulin will downregulate your growth hormone as growth hormone is elevated in the fasted state, especially post-workout and during sleep. Because of this, I purposely wait an entire hour to refeed after a workout. You can literally feel the endorphin rush, and it goes away once you ingest food. I'd rather let the hormonal increases ride than uselessly spike my insulin for no reason, and I don't see yourself becoming catabolic immediately post-workout, not when all those anabolic hormones are already elevated. IMO, save your money on the BCAA's, sit tight an hour, then take a whey shake or some jerky. Then refeed with carbs in a couple hours.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you are into creating the ideal situation, you might want to eat a carb after the workout. Luckily, our food pervasive culture allows for a post-lunch munch on something easy like a sweet potato or a cup of rice. If that is not possible, you are not doomed by consumming your meal a few hours later, just deviating a little from the what is often recommended.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast