Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Primal *should* we be? page

DeeDub is offline Senior Member

How Primal *should* we be?

Some of the choice quotes...

“We aren’t the same as people even a thousand or two thousand years ago,” he says. “Almost every trait you look at is under strong genetic influence.”
    They Don't Make Homo Sapiens Like They Used To | Human Evolution | DISCOVER Magazine

“It is likely that human races are evolving away from each other,” says University of Utah anthropologist Henry Harpending, who coauthored a major paper on recent human evolution. “We are getting less alike, not merging into a single mixed humanity.”
    The new genetic adaptations, some 2,000 in total, are not limited to the well-recognized differences among ethnic groups in superficial traits such as skin and eye color. The mutations relate to the brain, the digestive system, life span, immunity to pathogens, sperm production, and bones—in short, virtually every aspect of our functioning.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If a person tries going Primal and has weeks of gastronomic discomfort and no craving for PB foods, that person should do something else.

If a person goes Primal and has success losing a lot of weight and regaining health, but then plateaus for years and notices their health declining in ways like thinning hair and cold extremities and decreased libido, that person should do something else like investigating the re-addition of grains and sugar in sensible ways.

We should be as Primal as we're comfortable with, really.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article and thanks for sharing, though I don't think it has anything to do with how compliant I "should be" eating the way that makes me the healthiest, based on my own observations of my own body. I would agree that we know basically very little about our distant past and the whole "paleo" idea is highly speculative. It's just that it's better than the advice you get from the government.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I agree, "listen to your body" is the way to go.

I was surprised to see there is evidence we are evolving that quickly...!

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    The future of nutrition is nutrigenomics (nutrition based on your genes). However, science is far from being able do that accurately. Until then, I'll use paleo principles as a guideline.

Edit: just read the thing. This part is my favorite:

''Of course, in melting-pot cultures all kinds of ethnic groups intermingle freely, and the children who result literally meld our DNA together. Even if those groups were diverging, international travel is now causing the diversity to get lost in the genetic reshuffling. “That’s the ultimate irony,” Moyzis says. “By the time we finally settle this debate, we’ll all be such a mixture of genes that we won’t care.”''

Genetically, I've got some French, Irish and Italian background. If I was to have kids with an Asian or a black woman, they would be a total genetic mess. I wonder if the mixing of genes would make them stronger or weaker.
    Last edited by Winterbike; 02-10-2012 at 08:06 AM.

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    "We should be as Primal as we're comfortable with, really." Well said. For those it works for, some of us do well with a 80/20 some higher. I think I'm around 90-95%, doing my best to have nothing that would be a "cheat". I find I don't even miss the things I used to crave. That said, for me ham, -yes..they are cured with sugar and have preservatives -is not a "no-no" but an "eat in moderation". I don't do dairy, butter, yogert, whey, white potatoes etc. that some do. That doesn't work for me. 'Strict Paleo'+ham does.
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    listening to the body is best..

i still argue that thousands of years of evolution of the body being changed by only a couple hundred HASNT changed us that much .. and imho the parts that have changed dont seem to be helping much (look at our current status with health in most parts of the world) ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    It's interesting and I'm inclined to agree simply because of the massive diversity of terrain and climates on this planet, and the myriad of population centres.

But at the end of the day, you can't argue with a philosophy that compels you to keep as much of your food as natural and unprocessed as possible. If you start from there, you can work out what's best for you as you go.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Yes, I agree, "listen to your body" is the way to go.
    This.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I live in a cave and draw on the walls. I'm probably 75%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast