Thread: Help Me Keep Mom Off Statins! page

wilberfan is offline Senior Member

Help Me Keep Mom Off Statins!

Mom just turned 80, is in very good health, but her doctor doesn't like her cholesterol numbers, and is suggesting statins.

I had a minor Paleo Meltdown and told her the Paleo Community would hunt her down and have her for dinner if she went that route. She's not eager to take the statins (good)--and asked her doctor (for whom she has a great deal of respect--I think he's a very "good" doctor--as conventionally-trained modern western docs go) for 6 months to see if she could improve her numbers with diet and exercise...

She's requested a arterial plaque scan (which is monday)--which she'll have to pay for herself, by the way...

She's one of those people that's read The Primal Blueprint (I gave her a copy last year when I went from vegan to paleo)--but she's one of those people who wants to keep eating what she enjoys (ie, grains) rather than move out of her dietary comfort zone... She hates to cook, too!

She might be more motivated now; are there any blogs/websites I could steer her towards--specifically addressing the whole "heart health"/cholesterol issue?

I know about Dr. Davis' trackyourplaque blog... Any others where we could get her some good, accessible info? A Paleo Cholesterol Primer, if you will...?

Thanks in advance...!
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

There are probably "better" tests she should/could have done than the "conventional" cholesterol test, yes?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Just show her all the studies that show no correlation between cholesterol and heart disease in women.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Grizz is offline Banned
    wilberfan,

Show your mother these videos, and the problem is solved !
    You owe me a brewsky ;--))

How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic - YouTube
    I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care

Get her to stop eating bread and grains, because THAT is what causes heart disease (inflamation of the arteries) Get her the book, Wheat Belly by cardilologist Wm Davis, to prove it to her.

Grizz

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Here's one (Huffington Post) specifically about women and cholesterol.

Mark Hyman, MD: Why Women Should Stop Their Cholesterol-Lowering Medication
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I printed out articles from spacedoc.com and that got a friend to stop. She had had transient global amnesia from a statin, and also developed sciatica and osteoporosis while taking it. She gave up gluten, then the statin, and her numbers improved. More important, she stopped being scattered and confused.

The older the person, the more important to keep them off statins. Even for elderly men, statins do not lead to an improved outcome -- or for women of any age.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the links they are great.

My mom is in the exact same boat. It makes me sad that she will not even question what her doctor tells her to do.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think if her coronary artery scan is clean, there will be no reason to consider statins. I presume she will wait until the results before starting?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    There are probably "better" tests she should/could have done than the "conventional" cholesterol test, yes?
    The Rosedale Diet has a list of metabolic tests. Cholesterol is at the bottom. Fasting insulin and leptin are at the top.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I think if her coronary artery scan is clean, there will be no reason to consider statins. I presume she will wait until the results before starting?
    The scan results shows some plaque (I have no idea how much). I still get the sense that statins are NOT good for older women--in almost every case?