Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leptin reset question page

Sandie is offline Member

Question Leptin reset question

Primal Fuel
    I have only been primal for about a week and doing ok. I have lost about 2 lbs this week but really struggling with sugar addiction. I am a 50 year Los female with hypothyroid - taking 90 mgs of dedicated thyroid hormone.

I had been noticed several posts regarding Leptin reset and wondered if it would work for me. I did a bit more reading and decided to try it this morning. I normally do not feel hungry when I first wake up. I usually don't eat much until a few hours after rising and then no more than 20-25 grams of protein. So this will be a big step for me.

Immediately after rising I made 2 eggs, 6 slices of bacon and 1/2 cup of shrimp coming in at just over 50 grams of protein. I could barely stuff it down and was not able to get up from the table because my head is spinning and I do not feel well. Is this a normal reaction for a first timer? Do I need to dial down the amount of protein? Less fat? Or just tough it out?

Croak is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest that your weird feeling may be mostly between your ears.

Seriously, if it was right after eating, most of that food was just sitting in your stomach at that point, hadn't went anywhere, and other than expansion and displacement, had not had a chance to effect you much. It also wasn't much in the way of volume, for that matter.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Sandie,

You are so new to Paleo that you can expect grain withdrawal symptoms for the 1st 2 or 3 weeks. Grains are so addictive that you will have all you can do to just stay on the Primal Diet.

I suggest you wait until you are comfortable being on the Paleo diet, and then begin the Leptin Reset. Use this file to help you get started when you are ready.
    http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Kruse-References

When you start Leptin Reset, YES, timing of your meals is vital. MOST important is eating your big breakfast 1st thing in the morning is essential.

Grizz

Sandie is offline Member
    For me this was a huge meal so early in the morning. It sat like a rock in my stomach. I think I was in food shock. I had been told in the past that grazing was the best way to loss weight so I learnt to graze. It didn't work for weight loss but now I am a habitual grazer. I don't ever really feel hungry because I am grazing without realizing. I think I will just stay on regular paleo for now and just try to curb the grazing concept first. Thanks for the input

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Sandie, your stomach just isn't used to that kind of protein volume- if you need to, you can augment some of it in the form of protein pwd. in coconut milk if the food volume is too much at first. I did this and it worked fine You'll get used to the big breakfast soon and you'll actually start waking up hungry!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    your vagus nerve started sending signals to your brain, signals that it hadnt sent before, rejoice your vagus nerve works
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    really struggling with sugar addiction
    YES. You need the reset. I have been battling this for a decade, the last two years of which are chronicled in my journal (link is in my signature). I have tried many things that have helped, but the leptin reset has finally put the nail in the coffin. And as I look back, all the things I tried are actually things recommended by the LR - if only I had found it years ago!

The odd feeling sounds similar to something I experienced last week when I had a meal with a muchc higher percent protein than I'm used to (and I'm used to the BAB, so that's saying something). My meal was all meat, but it was less fatty meat than usual, and I didn't add any fat. I'm wondering if the high amount of protein without balancing carbs & fat may have meant that excess gluconeogenesis was turning protein into glucose at a higher than normal rate for me? Normally I only feel that way after having excessive, or any amount of concentrated, fruit or other sweetener. My blood sugar reading was 88, though, half an hour later, so I dunno.

If you feel you should give primal a few more weeks to get solid, go for it! And we'll be welcoming you on the LR threads when you're ready. In the meantime, feel free to lurk on any of them and search Dr. Kruse's site for anything relevant to your circumstances. If you fall off the wagon (ask me how many times I did!!!), and feel you haven't been "actually" primal long enough and want to keep trying to get 3 or 4 weeks or whatever in solid before trying LR, but you keep falling off and falling off, ... well, then, just come on over and dive in with the BAB. You'll find it life-changing.

There are other sugar addiction threads here, too, where people have had success with 5-HTP, chromium picolinate, and other supplements. Supp's have never really done anything for me, whereas this has, so I'm dancing with the one that brung me.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    You can build up slowly to the 50g if needed. Don't drag it out too long, but it can be done. However, if you actually were able to get it all down, I'd just go ahead and try it again, this time with ***more*** fat. Yes, you had bacon, but shrimp is so very lean, it may have just been too much for you. You might try adding a T of CO (or 2tsp, if you've never tried it before) with it and some primal carbs.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Sandie is offline Member
    I have been looking at that link to dr. Jack kruse and it really sounds like an answer for me so I will keep reading. I did see something about taking bile salts if you are missing a gallbladder ( mine left when my 2 nd child was born) I am thinking that may have been part of my problem. I might try it again tomorrow with some bile salts. Lunch dad come and gone and I am not hungry but I might try soup broth. I would love some suggestions on what to eat for breakfast. Perhaps I will snoop in people's journals to see what they are having until I get the hang of it

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Leftover dinner with 3-4 eggs! Then I reduced down to 1-2 eggs on the dinner as time went by. You sound like the reset will do you good. Could take 2 weeks before you're "used" to it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast