Thread: The 1000 times people call you crazy... page

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member

The 1000 times people call you crazy...

... are totally worth the one person who listens.

I was offered cake at a party, and when I replied that I don't eat sugar or grains he asked why. I just said for health reasons, and he started asking questions while actually listening to the answers. After half an hour, he made a note to himself to check out the diet.

cline is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchncoffee View Post
    ... are totally worth the one person who listens.

I was offered cake at a party, and when I replied that I don't eat sugar or grains he asked why. I just said for health reasons, and he started asking questions while actually listening to the answers. After half an hour, he made a note to himself to check out the diet.
    On a recent trip to Trader Joes, the guy ringing me up asked about almond flour (okay, I was having a total pizza craving...) and I explained how I used it once in a while b/c I wasn't eating grains or sugar. He was all excited b/c he was trying to go glueten free and wanted to do more and wanted to know more. He'd given up sugar and almost all grains. We talked about grain free beef. He wrote down the Primal Blueprint. He made my week.

Another friend with a ton of health problems listened with an open mind to my lifestyle changes. Bought the book that night. In one week, she gave up almost all grains (she's still working on it) and sugar. She's struggling with soy but told me yesterday "I know it's my brain socially wired to believe soy is good for me". She is my rock.

Sometimes people are so helpful in ways they don't even know.

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    I have found that if you say its for health reasons (and dont be too specific) people then seem to listen and later on you can go into the Primal details.

If you say its a "diet" or throw the word Primal out in the first sentance people generally quit listening right away cause you are "one of those."
    Went Primal January 24, 2011
    Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
    Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
    According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I believe it can happen, since I was one of those people that's why I always make it clear what im doing and keep myself open and available to any coworkers or friends who want more info.

Although its kinda hard, since what they see is that I've lost a shitton of weight so the skinny ones think that they don't need to bother themselves with this diet. What they don't see is all the medications I've stopped using and the amazing energy I have for physical exertion that I never had before. So that's a good call stressing verbally that it's for health reasons first.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    i agree with primalclay, people get so turned off when you mention diet or something they consider a "fad"

but who can argue with health

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    This actually happened to me yesterday! It was one of those small little pleasures I couldnt have anticipated... I always say I practice Dorothy Parker primal: 'never complain; never explain'... and yesterday at a taqueria I visit the waitress who was about my age mentioned how good my plate looked with just romaine on one half and stewed pork chile verde on the other. And when my meal was over and she came to clear everything away, she actually sat down for a few minutes at my table and asked me a lot of questions about what exactly I eat and how I went about learning about how to eat that way... and it felt kind of wonderful because I wasn't pushing it on her or anything... she was just honestly curious and I must have looked like someone who was enjoying myself! Nice warm glow at that...

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    It's so true! I've been a full time barefooter since 2006, so I'm used to people thinking I'm nuts for my lifestyle. Primal isn't really any different as far as reactions- and I learned a long time ago not to be preachy about it, but every once in a while someone is genuinely interested on their own. The best is when they actually try it, stick with it and see results! I convinced my sil to try the PB 21 day transformation- she lost 15 lbs and is sticking with. She loves it! I have a friend who has joined the journey too and lost nine pounds and improved her depression symptoms. To know that I can help people improve their lives just by aiming them in the right direction feels golden!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have been facebooking with my best friend going through her 4th pregnancy (second in 2 years) and telling her all about the Primal Blueprint. She isn't going to try it while pregnant (and I don't blame her) but wants as much info as she can get for afterwards. I swear I am going to start taking monthly/weekly pics, pics of all my foods, and put them in my status updates just so she can see it and be the healthiest mama she can be This is definitely one of those worth it times.
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!