Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: 10% to 6% BF suggestions please page

  1. #1
    rockstareddy's Avatar
    rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK Midlands
    Posts
    598

    Question 10% to 6% BF suggestions please

    Hey guys, I know this has had a few threads in the past, just wanted to see what the latest suggestions were?

    I dont want to be 6% longterm, just want to achieve it for a short period.

    As I see it my options are
    1) High protein vlow carb diet
    2) Calorie deficit

    I train on a regular basis and have reasonable standard of fitness.
    Which will work best? Have I missed anything?

    Thanks
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

    No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

  2. #2
    The Scott's Avatar
    The Scott is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    79
    If youre at 10% I would suggest putting on more muscle in toggles, for example.

    Raise your calories and adjust your lifting to staple lifts in the 8-10 range

    Monitor your appearance and adjust your food as needed. A good way to handle your food is to only eat carbs BEFORE workouts. So wake up fasted slow movement cardio (lets say at 6 am) Eat your Carb meal at noon (half of daily calories) workout about 6pm and recover with nothing but pro and fat.

    Spiking insulin pwo has been shown to blunt gh and not necessary. If you want to stay in fat burning muscle building zone follow the approach like this to get on both sides of the fat burning muscle building cycle.

    Then the following day slow movement fasted cardio then noon, half food all fat and pro evening meal same thing.

  3. #3
    federkeil's Avatar
    federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    849
    Do LeanGains....

    English | RippedBody.jp
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

  4. #4
    Winterbike's Avatar
    Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    512
    Find a natural bodybuilder. Those guys are experts for that kind of stuff.

    I would try intermittent fasting in combination with caffeinated drinks (tea or coffee, whatever you like). Eat big at night, but keep a calorie deficit. Don't drop the carbs too much, it might be too stressful on the body and you'll lose muscle mass.

  5. #5
    rockstareddy's Avatar
    rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK Midlands
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scott View Post
    If youre at 10% I would suggest putting on more muscle in toggles, for example.

    Raise your calories and adjust your lifting to staple lifts in the 8-10 range

    Monitor your appearance and adjust your food as needed. A good way to handle your food is to only eat carbs BEFORE workouts. So wake up fasted slow movement cardio (lets say at 6 am) Eat your Carb meal at noon (half of daily calories) workout about 6pm and recover with nothing but pro and fat.

    Spiking insulin pwo has been shown to blunt gh and not necessary. If you want to stay in fat burning muscle building zone follow the approach like this to get on both sides of the fat burning muscle building cycle.

    Then the following day slow movement fasted cardio then noon, half food all fat and pro evening meal same thing.
    Hmm hadnt thought about carbs before workout, not sure If I will, as im training fasted now...shouldve mentioned that, so already burning fat pre workout, but I will reduce post workout carbs.

    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    Do LeanGains....

    English | RippedBody.jp
    been eating and fasting leangains style four abour 6 months, shouldve said I train fasted sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Find a natural bodybuilder. Those guys are experts for that kind of stuff.

    I would try intermittent fasting in combination with caffeinated drinks (tea or coffee, whatever you like). Eat big at night, but keep a calorie deficit. Don't drop the carbs too much, it might be too stressful on the body and you'll lose muscle mass.
    daily fasting. Carbs is a big dilemma. in the big picture, carbs will sotre fat, but when you get down to this level, youre right, will I gain anymore from cutting out and going into keto? or is it more about calorie deficit.... maybe higher protein will help me achive deficit more easily...
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

    No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

  6. #6
    The Scott's Avatar
    The Scott is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    79
    At 10% do not look at it as a fat loss protocol. You want to maintain 6% build more muscle, carb load prior to lifting which in turn will allow you to lift heavier burn more calories. then go into fasted over night into slow cardio

  7. #7
    Fernaldo's Avatar
    Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    889
    Lean Gains all the way. Everything else pales in comparison.
    1. You can bail on all the cardio BS
    2. You can eat carbs and I'm not talking 4 oz of sweat potato.
    3. Big ass meals that satisfy.

    The rest is the free ride on the burn train to shred town.

    Just read your response. What does a normal week look like? Training / Diet ?
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 02-09-2012 at 11:05 AM.

  8. #8
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,294
    counting calories will come into the picture. lean gains is a smart approach (IF + carb cycling + calorie counting, basically).

  9. #9
    federkeil's Avatar
    federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Just read your response. What does a normal week look like? Training / Diet ?
    This.

    I think we need more information.

    I do a LeanGains type program but all I count is Protein for all days, and Carbs on lifting days. I maintain around 12% body fat without going into caloric deficits on rest days like LeanGains says to. And I eat a lot more fat on lifting days that is suggested. If I wanted to drop below 10% I'd have to count calories and have a deficit for the week.

    How to Calculate your Leangains Macros | RippedBody.jp will give you better information for diet guidelines then anything Martin's posted on LeanGains.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

  10. #10
    rockstareddy's Avatar
    rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK Midlands
    Posts
    598
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cool cheers guys.

    Ive been doing lean gains fasting for ages. The eating is pretty straight primal, but Im not afraid to push carbs up with potatoes etc post workouts.

    At the moment Im not calorie deficiting. The only part of leangains im not focusing on soo much in the strength training. I do one heavy lifting session a week, then all my other training session are high intensity boxing, sparring or conditioning, as Im training for a fight. Ill go back to more strength focused in a few months, but doubt building more muscle will have any big impact on BF % in the shorterm.

    Protein is about 130g per day, varies a little cos I count but im not obsessive. Carbs under 100 on rest days, well over 100 workout days not much needed though quite insulin sensitive. I weight 73kg (160lbs)estimate 10%bf. never managed to get it under that and really maximise my deffinition. Im happy as i am, but looking for a little extra weight loss for a fight (as well as short term dehydration that week).
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

    No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •