Thread: Is anyone else a swimmer? page

Kenzington is offline Senior Member

Is anyone else a swimmer?

Shop Now
    Much to my annoyance I found out yesterday that my new local LA Fitness is cheaper than the 24 hour strip mall club I was going to. I hate, HATE hamster wheel style workouts but with the winters in MN just going for a walk wasn't doing it.

After all, I am a fish. I've been a competitive swimmer most of my life. I love getting in the pool and doing laps. So that's what I'm going to be doing 3x a week now as well as lifting and taking the occasional walk when it's nice out (for the time being. Come summer I'll be more active)

So are there any other swimmers out there? Do you just get in and do laps or do you do sets on timed intervals...?

korvix is offline Member
    I used to swim alot back in the chronic cardio days, great for breathing, not so good for shoulders
    Ever since I discovered compound lifting I never looked back, much more fun
    I swim in the ocean in summer on weekends, bad ass and primal

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Use one of those days to do sprint intervals in the pool. I've done it and it's a great way to get that HIIT in. I would do a light warm-up of freestyle then it's all out as fast as you ca go sprints. Rest in between enough to catch your wind and repeat. Do 6-8 of these intervals. It is almost as effective as running sprints. It's safer in regard to joint impact. This protocol would be far superior to steady state swimming for overall conditioning as well as getting leaner. Don't overdo it though. Once a week or so is plenty if you are giving it your all.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I do both recovery swims (laps or circles through the lazy river), walk against the current in the lazy river and sprint swims in Zoomer fins (LOVE those). I love swimming!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Use one of those days to do sprint intervals in the pool. I've done it and it's a great way to get that HIIT in. I would do a light warm-up of freestyle then it's all out as fast as you ca go sprints. Rest in between enough to catch your wind and repeat. Do 6-8 of these intervals. It is almost as effective as running sprints. It's safer in regard to joint impact. This protocol would be far superior to steady state swimming for overall conditioning as well as getting leaner. Don't overdo it though. Once a week or so is plenty if you are giving it your all.
    Oh for sure. I'm a big fan of 10 x 50 on 1 min. I think it's a lot better than running as my entire body is screaming by the end.

As for the rest - My warmup is

200 x Swim, kick, pull, swim (800)
    Then I do sets that equal about a mile changing up the strokes, moving between kicking, pulling and swimming depending on the day. This to me is not chronic cardio - it's fun, meditative and I love how strong I feel after I leave the pool and what it has always done for my body can't be argued with.
    Then about a 300 cool down.

I am also lifting heavy 2x a week with the free weights. I don't love deadlifts but my body sure does and it's done wonders for the speed of my flip turns!

Quote Originally Posted by korvix View Post
    I used to swim alot back in the chronic cardio days, great for breathing, not so good for shoulders
    Ever since I discovered compound lifting I never looked back, much more fun
    I swim in the ocean in summer on weekends, bad ass and primal
    If you're hurting your shoulders, something is wrong with your technique. Just an FYI. Possibly worth working with a coach if it's something you really love doing.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    The sore shoulders could be technique or it could be chronic overuse. If one is susceptible to shoulder injury and they over do a specific stroke that stresses the shoulder joints, it could indeed cause pain over time.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I took swimming lessons as a kid, then I married a rabid swimmer who does 8+ miles open water stuff
    I am enrolled in a swimming class now and it's great fun! My main goal was to feel confident enough in the water to go to open lap swim. If ya love it and it's as much play as it is exercise, then that's the best of both worlds
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    On again off again swimmer here...

Used to swim a TON of laps at the Y back when I would be a on again off again Chronic Cardio type. You know the routine:

1) Wake up one day and say "holy crap I'm fat and out of shape"
    2) Go to the Y (or gym or whatever) 5 or more times a week. Swim a ton of laps, pound your heels on the treadmill over and over, try the elliptical when you get tired of that, etc. for 4-6 months.
    3) Get burned out and stop going.
    4) Wait for Step 1) to happen again...

Anyway, since I've been following Primal, we have long since canceled our Y membership, but we have a neighborhood pool that's open in the summer. Last summer I did a lot of "play" in the pool and a lot of random floating/twisting/turning and relaxation stuff. No laps! I tried doing some short, quick "swim sprints" a few times...but the bulk of my time at the pool since going Primal has been low-level "fun" and easy relaxation stuff.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Since August I have been swimming for exercise and trying to eat better. Swimming is a new thing for me. I could never master the breathing for freestyle stroke as a child, even though my Mother and sister were competition swimmers and I had a pro coach treaching me. So for a long time I went away from it.

Back in August my partner Warwick went to the doc and his BP was a bit high and doctor recommended lose some weight and get more exercise. Warwick grew up by the beach so swimming is as natural as breathing to him. After he had been going for a few weeks he suggested I come along. I was initially reluctant but I did go down just for a look and found the pool had kickboards you could use.

So! I am now up to 3 times a week I do 3 sets each of the following:
    200 x kick (incl side & back), 200 x breast/backstroke, 100 x pull, 100 x freestyle swim

The other days - 2 or 3 times a week - I do 2 sets and 20 mins of walking/running/aquarobics in the shallow end.

I do change the strokes/order, moving between kicking, pulling and swimming depending on the day. I too love how strong I feel after I leave the pool and what it has done for my body is amazing - I have gone from almost crippled and contemplating a mobility scooter to strong and fit. I still have a long way to go in weight loss and fitness but swimming is doing it for me.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook