Thread: Physician (almost), Heal Thyself (seriously) page

MD_HealThyself is offline Junior Member

Physician (almost), Heal Thyself (seriously)

Primal Fuel
    Dear Grok,

So sorry I haven't been in touch in 10s of thousands of years, but you know how I am with that kind of thing. Thank you notes are sketchy at best, Christmas cards (yeah, "Christmas"...don't worry about it) will never happen (not least because I'm Jewish...don't worry about that either), and I answer my phone about 50% of the time. Anyway, I've been meaning to check in and see how things are going. I'm nearly done with the first step of learning to be a doctor, er medicine man, and for lots of personal and professional reasons I feel as though we need to rekindle our relationship. It's pretty clear that you have a...let's say "tempestuous" relationship with the vast majority of my colleagues and that they have basically cut all ties. I'm afraid this may mean they're going to keep hurting the thousands of people they mean to heal. I hope you'll forgive my manners, but I'm going to invite myself over to your fire for a visit. Just as soon as I can find you...you see, I've lost my tracking skills over the past few millennia, but there are lots of other people here who have been seeking (and finding!) you and it's my sincere hope to learn from them. In the meantime, please consider this my official announcement: the quest has begun.

All the best,

Almost Doctor J

Anzu is offline Junior Member
    Welcome!

MD Heal Thyself would be an AWESOME rapper name.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Doc. Glad to have you here.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

MD_HealThyself is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all for the warm welcome--so happy to be here! I'm planning to start a journal thread, but just wanted to share a few of my glorious Primal discoveries over the past week or two (that I'm sure everyone else here already figured out, but that tickle me every day):
    1. Eating coconut products and avocado with impunity is the best. thing. ever. Seriously, coconut milk whipped cream? Avocado and bacon for breakfast (with some eggs on the side)? Life is sooo good.
    2. Cooking is fun! Granted I have waaay more time right now than I will in a few months, but my goal is to spend the next few months experimenting and then have a few bomb-proof quick easy recipes that will yield lots of leftovers (I made lamb+buffalo meatloaves last night. Hooray! Kale chips/kale greens in coconut milk the day before...despite being a little terrified of kale...yay me for getting out of my veggie comfort zone. .
    3. I've reclaimed a few foods that I thought I didn't like: bell peppers? Used to hate 'em. Now my favorite crunchy veggie snack! Celery? Used to hate it. Now my favorite vehicle for nut butters and creamcheese & lox! Mustard? Well, you get the idea.
    4. Giving up grain didn't give me much in the way of cravings (as long as I stay away from pastry cases), but it gave me one hell of a withdrawal week (sooo slleeeeepppy...) for someone who didn't think she was eating much in the way of refined carbs to begin with. Oh well. Energy starting to come back, so all's well that ends well.
    5. Mark never really mentioned this, but I've heard lots of folks on MDA discuss what I'll call Primal Rage, defined as the overwhelming anger at the continual perpetuation of CW and the MAD by otherwise smart, well-informed people. Primal rage is most likely to strike while in the grocery store, at the gym listening to chronic cardio folks discuss their latest colon cleanse, or, if you're me, ESPECIALLY when listening to physicians either counsel their patients or "teach" medical students about nutrition (i.e. CW).

That's all for now, folks. Keep on Grokking!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, good luck with that doctor training thing. I hope you can resist the indoctrination toward pushing statins and CW advice on everyone. We need good doctors who can do an honest and useful evaluation of a cholesterol test. Many of us, like myself, avoid the doctor now because we just don't want to engage in the arguments about statins.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3