Thread: Should muscle meat be fed to the dogs? page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Should muscle meat be fed to the dogs?

Primal Fuel
    I'm starting to think that maybe the Eskimos (or whoever it was) are right and that muscle meat should be fed to the dogs. I'm starting to really prefer the taste, texture and variety of organ meats. The only trouble is, liver is the only organ meat I can easily find. I need to find more organ meats. Any suggestions for finding organ meats in a small Southern California city? Would I find good organ meat at a carniceria, and if so, do you think it would be worth it? I don't imagine that it would be grass-fed or pastured. My grass-fed source has beef cheeks but I have to order them in advance and pick them up within a small window. Anybody try beef cheeks? Where do you get sweetbreads, heart or kidney anymore?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    I asked my dogs and they wholeheartedly approve your message! They said to mention they would not turn down bacon or bones either.
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

chia is offline Senior Member
    my Border Collie, who is now 10, has been fed raw meat since 6 months old. He has never been to the vet, except for when he got something in his eye, he has white, gleaming teeth...glossy, velvet coat, never having had a bath nor a flea, and is lean, muscled and gorgeous....! yes, you can feed carnivores muscle meat but if you feed commercial food, you just need to be careful and give too much to an dog that may be older and not used to raw. Dogs digestion begins in the stomach and if fed commercial or cooked food for years, these enzymes might be a bit low, and the raw meat 'may' initially cause some digestive distress. not likely though.....just me being overly protective of dogs. ;-)

chia is offline Senior Member
    my Border Collie, who is now 10, has been fed raw meat since 6 months old. He has never been to the vet, except for when he got something in his eye, he has white, gleaming teeth...glossy, velvet coat, never having had a bath nor a flea, and is lean, muscled and gorgeous....! yes, you can feed carnivores muscle meat but if you feed commercial food, you just need to be careful and give too much to an dog that may be older and not used to raw. Dogs digestion begins in the stomach and if fed commercial or cooked food for years, these enzymes might be a bit low, and the raw meat 'may' initially cause some digestive distress. not likely though.....just me being overly protective of dogs. ;-)

p.s. i feed mostly whole prey as is whole rabbits, whole chickens etc...alot of heart, liver weekly, etc...lamb is his fave. ;-)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I used to share a house with a lady whose cat would leave a nice row of fresh mouse livers on the door mat every morning. Unfortunately, I don't have a dog or a cat, so I need to find another source of fresh organs.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    carnicerias have lots of organ meats, as do asian markets. none of it will be from pastured animals that are ethically raised...

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If I ever find myself giving a dog a ribeye while I take down the offal, I will probably lose my shit.