Thread: Endive page

Cricket is offline Member

Endive

Primal Fuel
    I hadn't eaten Endive in years but a month or so ago, I bought some that was beautiful. It wasn't organic but I couldn't resist it. I washed and dried it good. I then fried a couple of pieces of bacon. When done the bacon was chopped up and put on top of a bowl of endive. I put several splashes of organic apple cider vinegar in the pan with the bacon drippings. This was poured over top of the endive and chopped bacon. With one taste, I was transported back to my parents' kitchen!! YUM....so simple....so good!!

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    I love endive. I usually peel off enough of the bigger leaves to line my bowl then I'll chop up the rest and fry it in bacon grease with mushrooms and onions, mix in sliced steak, and pile it in my bowl

I hate buying endive though because it's hard to find around here and the cashiers never know what it is and even though I tell them exactly how much it is they can't seem to resist calling over a manager to help who then calls someone ELSE to run a price check.

Cricket is offline Member
    "I hate buying endive though because it's hard to find around here and the cashiers never know what it is and even though I tell them exactly how much it is they can't seem to resist calling over a manager to help who then calls someone ELSE to run a price check. "

I had this same problem the last time I actually found some in my area.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Is this what we'd call chicory in the UK?

Lovely pungent flavour. The harder, more bitter inners are really nice left whole and braised. The outer, less bitter, even sweet leaves are superb chopped into wide strips with a slug of sherry vinegar. I like them to scoop up curry like chapatti or load them up with chilli, kind of like a taco.

Baconette is offline Junior Member
    Can't we grow it?
    My plan is to start a *greens* garden. Got the kale seeds the other day.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Is this what we'd call chicory in the UK?

Lovely pungent flavour. The harder, more bitter inners are really nice left whole and braised. The outer, less bitter, even sweet leaves are superb chopped into wide strips with a slug of sherry vinegar. I like them to scoop up curry like chapatti or load them up with chilli, kind of like a taco.
    If chicory in the UK is that what it is in Germany, endive is something different.

As a kid we often had endive. My grandparents grew it in their garden. My grandma made a dressing out of joghurt or sour cream (not sure) and onions. I have to see if I can buy a good one! (At the moment it seems all the greens at the supermarket are damaged by the cold weather outside...)