Thread: Been 100% primal for ~2 weeks...will the PB Fitness add enough muscle? page

RyRo17 is offline Junior Member

Been 100% primal for ~2 weeks...will the PB Fitness add enough muscle?

Shop Now
    Thanks in advance to any who read this rather long post and respond.

I started watching what I ate starting the first of this year but didn't find this wonderful site until a few weeks back. I've now completely cut out all grains, dairy and am slowly easing away from eating so many nuts/day. I love almonds and cashews.

I have been doing some HIIT with bodyweight exercises only but have yet to start the PB type of fitness routine. While it sounds great I'm really wanting to add a good amount of muscle to my frame. I'm 5'10", ~160-165 and am definitely a 'skinny fat' guy with very little muscle.

I've been looking at various other types of workout regiments and am considering using free weights and doing more compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and bench presses in the 5 rep range because it seems from my research that will make me stronger and add muscle quicker than bodyweight exercises.

Here's my problem/fear: I have back problems. Severe disc herniation in the L4/L5 disc. I used to be an avid runner (running ~20miles/week) but stopped when my problems started. I haven't really worked out since and am fearful of hurting myself moving to free weights and doing exercises like deadlifts and squats.

I guess I need to weigh my options because I'm wanting to add some muscle to my very unmuscular frame but not injure myself further. Any advice?

otzi Guest
    Maybe sign up with a personal trainer at a gym who specializes in back injured people, if there is such a person. Otherwise, just take it easy on any exercise that hurts your back. A strict primal diet will do wonders for your spine and health.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I crushed my L3 about 15 years ago. Spent 6 years with constant back pain and re-injuring myself. Started all different types of deadlifting (standard and Romanian made up the bulk) and slowly increased weight. Have not had a problem since 2003'ish. Had an X-ray of it about a year ago and it still looks like a door wedge. But, because of the muscle around it I can lift and have no issues. Take it slowly and work your way up.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    I also herniated disc in my neck a few years back. Am also limited on exercise and weights. Can't do high impact aerobics (fine - not paleo anyway) and can't do weights above my head. Agree with Icarian - take it slowly. use light weights to start or even isometric exercise until the muscle builds. I am now up to regular exercise, some sprints and weights. It can happen. Better to take it slowly with no injury than to try to speed it along - and get injured again. Then it is both slow AND painful. Best of luck!
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

RyRo17 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I need to be patient, start with very good form on these exercises and take it slow.

I'm guessing I should just start with what the PBF guide suggests (bodyweight exercises) before moving onto weights and a 5x5 style of lifting?

Thanks again for the responses.

epwyckoff is offline Junior Member
    You can always focus on single leg lower body exercises, too. Exercises like lunges, step ups, rear foot elevated split squats, and pistol squats are all great. You would use less weight and put less pressure on your back, but still make great gains. Bodyweight exercises are an awesome place to start, though!