Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting off the sugar DRUG. page

raj
    raj is offline Junior Member

Getting off the sugar DRUG.

Hey guys i'm new to this forum. I'm attempting to transition into eating a more primal diet. I'm totally addicted to carbs and sugar and can't go more than a few days without fructose especially. This journal is going to track my transition onto a low carb primal diet and off of the junk! Sugar is super addicting. I'M SO HAPPY YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND THAT! -tear -tear hahaa. So many people don't. I'm a little out of it right now actually, having just had a big sugar binge.

I'm going on an important trip on Friday and I want my energy level to be back in a place where I can enjoy myself. So I have taken it upon myself to kind of dive into a transition diet tomorrow... What does that consist of? I really don't know. Right now I'm thinking it will be all primal with the addition of some yams and maybe some beans to keep the carb flu away until after the trip... If I were to go right to primal right now I would be in a state of withdrawal during this trip and that would be awful. So I'm looking for something that won't mess with blood sugar, won't take away my energy like most carbs do, but keeps away the carb withdrawal/flu. Any suggestions?? So appreciative if you have one

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    That might work but if you are addicted to carbs as bad as I am I would recommend you either go cold turkey and suck it up or post pone the change until after the trip. For me that would be like an alcoholic saying "I'll just have a few beers" but everyone is different. It's hard to eat that great on trips anyway. You know yourself best do you honestly think you can transition or is it just another way of saying "I'll start tomorrow" with the expectation of failure?

raj
    Hey Jfendek thanks for the reply
    Cold turkey is definitely the way to go I totally understand where you're coming from, that's what I hear from all people who give advice about sugar addiction. I guess you could say i'm transitioning cold turkey style. AKA, going completely off of each thing one by one. Starting with fructose and then all the carbs. I know exactly what you mean though, I can't eat a certain amount of something if I look at it like I'm 'just cutting down'.

raj
    I think this is the most active forum I've ever seen! 5 pages of journals with updates from today, that's awesome that so many people are in this.

Maybe I should quickly just address the issues that I'm hoping to overcome by taking on this lifestyle.

Goals:
    -Reduce anxiety
    -Reduce depression
    -Have moderate-high energy level
    -Lose 30 pounds
    -Abolish sugar addiction and food addiction (no more binge eating)

Yesterday
    Breakfast- Sweet potato, steamed broccoli and cauliflower with pumpkinseed dressing, flax seeds
    Lunch- I can't remember...
    Dinner- I over ate tahini. That stuff is seriously good. It wasn't sugar, so I was glad. Also a small steak.

Today
    Breakfast.Lunch- Sweet potato, steamed broccoli, chicken leg. Flax seeds
    Snack: Tablespoon or 2 of tahini and a few pumpkin seeds

... Wow. That's all? I don't remember eating that little. In fact, I didn't even realize that I wasn't snacking all day today. There was no urge to do so! Thank goodness. I started feeling slightly nauseous later in the day, which often happens after quitting the sugar. The other thing that has already changed is I'm not constantly thirsty like I am when I am eating carb/sugar high meals. Also I only got 3 hours of sleep last night, normally that would kill me and I will feel horrible all the next day. I woke up not feeling horrible, no just-got-hit-by-a-bus feeling.

Going to keep that last carby sweet potato and broccoli in there until I get back from my trip. It's a nice middle ground.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to stop by and say welcome!

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    I UNDERSTAND!!! *tear, tear* I mean, really. It's a little hard to find support outside this forum when most people think your major failing is moral, not in fact a set of hormones that have been screwed up by our culture's idea of a normal diet. At a certain point, it is an addiction. Even I once thought that was somewhat of an exaggeration, but then you go through withdrawal and it's like - oh no. This is a real, physical addiction because I feel like I need to be strapped down in order not to consume more of the bad stuff. I had days like that when I first went off. At first I failed because I feared that life without sugar would always feel that way, but after two weeks, you really do emerge from it. And it's not just that you've changed habits. I really felt my body working a completely different way. So stick with it! We'll cheer you on.

On the vacation front, I'd say make the healthiest choices you can. Prepare snacks like nuts and jerky (without a bunch of sugar in it) ahead of time. But chances are things will get chaotic enough that you won't stay on the diet completely. In the very beginning, not eating sugar can be really hard so it's good to start off with a two-week period of time in which you can better control your routine. Remember that if you do go off the primal thing and drink a lot of beer, eat a lot of sugar or bread, don't eat high-fat. Fat is kind of bi-polar. If you're not eating a lot carbs, fat is no biggie. If you're eating a lot of carbs, then it can be damaging and cause you to put on weight.
    Last edited by Lex26; 02-09-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

raj
    Thanks guys!

Lex you were right it was a lot more difficult to stay on the diet while away. I made it about 6 days, but was feeling the sugar free blues and decided it wasn't worth doing on this trip and not enjoying the trip. I didn't keep it low fat, I went a little crazy with sugar. Tomorrow is my flight back and I'm starting tomorrow again with the diet, but I'm going straight off of sugar and not including tubers/fruit. Like jfrendek recommended, I think you were right man.

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    Dinner- I over ate tahini. That stuff is seriously good. It wasn't sugar, so I was glad. Also a small steak.
    Ah, tahini, my non-sugary nemesis... I wonder what exactly is it that makes it so incredibly delicious?

Welcome to the journals, Raj, and good luck with your goals. We're in the same boat with the sugary stuff. I've kicked the processed sugars but still struggle with dried fruit (WHY do I keep allowing myself to buy it?). I do need to be as brave as you and kick it completely.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Just stopped by to say hi and welcome sounds like you are doing great! Isn't it awesome you realize that you forgot to eat and still feel just fine?? That NEVER happened until I went primal

raj
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey thanks guys! I know what the heck is in tahini?! I could seriously eat a whole jar I think.

Mikk yes it's so wonderful! And it happens so quickly too thanks for the welcome.

My flight ended up getting delayed, I got home yesterday. Didn't start the no sugar thing today, today ended up being very stressful and I basically just coped by eating large amounts of sugar. There still is a bit of stress around some changes going on but I am starting tomorrow seeing the sugar messing with my hormones can't be helping the stress.

Grocery shopping tomorrow, leaves me a little stumped. Meat and veggies I guess it is huh? I've never shopped for meat much because I used to think it was unhealthy, so that's new. I'm looking forward to comparing how this primal thing goes with the candida cleanses i've done in the past (where I only made it 6 days!). When I was away on the trip and doing the primal with tubers thing, I would wake up in the morning with cold sweats until I ate a tuber to stop the sugar withdrawal, so I feel like it could be equally as intense as a candida cleanse but easier to stick to. Okay, i'll stop rambling, and go check out some of these other journals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast