Thread: Transitioning, help page

raj
    raj is offline Junior Member

Transitioning, help

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys. I find it too hard to go straight low-carb right now and need some kind of carbish food to hold onto to get off of my sugar addiction, but at the same time I need one that won't mess with my blood sugar so that I can function through my fatigue. Transition foods? What is a good food type to transition slowly off of carbs and sugars? I tried quinoa and buckwheat but they mess with my blood sugar and I fall asleep after eating them so that's a no no... When I eat beans I have bloating and lots of gas and I just don't feel that well on them. What do you guys think about tubers (sweet potatoes, yams) and starchy vegetables like brussel sprouts, broccoli...?

Or if you can offer me any better advice please do. How to get off the sugar and carbs without feeling the strong withdrawal! I'm really at a loss on how to do this!

By the way, first post on this forum, woo hoo, hello !
    Last edited by raj; 02-08-2012 at 01:02 AM.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Getting off sugar is easy,just don't eat processed food and all that.Granted,it's gonna suck for a while when your body throws a temper tantrum but just put up with it and you'll feel better and be healthier after a while.Now as far as carbs go,they aren't all bad,just the ones that come from unhealthy sources.There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating a baked potato,mashed sweet potatoes,turnips, broccoli,bananas and so on,despite what some people will say.Now,if you want to lose a lot of fat then low carb/no carb might be the way to go,but remember that some people do poorly on these kind of diets and restricting carbs isn't the only way to lose weight in a healthy way,it just helps speed things up a bit for some folks.I tried low carb and it just wasn't right for me,so now the carbs I eat come from healthy sources just like everything else in my diet.Paleo is often painted as low-carb but this is by no means the rule or even the suggested method long term,especially if you're active and not metabolically damaged.

raj
    raj is offline Junior Member
    Hey Alex, I see what you are saying and appreciate your message, I could be too strict on myself at the moment. The thing is while I don't have a ton of weight to lose (30ish pounds maybe 40), I have fatigue problems, candida and depression that are all very sensitive to my blood sugar levels so my ultimate goal is to be very low carb for it. I'm just having trouble finding things that don't mess with my blood sugar enough so that I can function (have energy to get out of bed) while at the same time keep away the withdrawal for now.

Kunko is offline Member
    How does your blood sugar react to different kinds of fruit like apples? Fruits can help you get over the hump as long as you aren't eating bananas or grapes, and pick the fruits on the lower side of the glycemic index.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Berries can work they have a very low GI, your body will adjust. I'd try sweet potatoes/yams/turnips/butternut squash as suggested already. Eat more in general (fat/protein)! Even if it means that you don't lose weight right now until your body adjusts. It will give you more energy.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Fruits and tubers may work. You can walk it down slowly. It may take some trial and error, just to see which ones work and which do not. I have a friend who can eat most fruits, but bananas and pineapple are no good - crazy insulin spike.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I know that most people advise against snacking, however it is a great way to get through the initial phases of changing your eating habits. When I first started I took a small cooler to work with me with hard boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken, and raw carrots, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes. If I started to feel like my blood sugar was dropping, I'd grab one of my snacks. Eventually things will balance out and you'll reach for those snacks less and less. I rarely eat more than twice a day now, and don't feel like my blood sugar is low unless I'm pushing 12 to 14 hours since my last meal.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    yeah... I used primal snacks at first; then the desire to snack just sort of stopped on its own too. and when I was coming off the carbs I would eat an extra piece of fruit on zumba class days. now I hardly notice this and don't plan for it. I just eat fruit when it sounds overwhelmingly attractive. That means about once a week I want something involving a banana at breakfast time; a little local citrus; and the occasional whole foods import splurge. It helps to make yourself over into a really picky fruit snob: you'll retrain your taste buds to only want local, unrefrigerated fruit at its peak of ripeness. (But those chilean organic berry displays at whole foods kill me despite. i do loves me some berries!) You'll be amazed at how much of this just falls into place on its own... best wishes!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Eat more veg with your meals, and keep a bag of veg to snack on during the day. Vegetables are a healthy way up your carbs if you need to.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Harris over at the archevore.com site recommends thin apple slices or orange sections. If you are feeling weak or dizzy, eat one slice.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2