Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing cooked food page

mrsmcmeaty is offline Member

Question Storing cooked food

Reading here and on other websites about Paleo, it seems alot of people do a big cook-up one day a week to make things easier.

I've been taught that meat, either raw or cooked, should be stored in the fridge for no more than 2-3 days.

Do any of you manage to stretch it out for longer? If so, how?

And if the meat has been thawed from frozen, then cooked, can it be re-frozen in meal sized portions without affecting the nutrients?

Thanks!
    There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I freeze stuff if I'm not going to use it "soon" but generally use the sniff test.

Yes it's fine to refreeze the cooked meat in terms of safety, and I can't see it harming the nutrition.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Once cooked, most foods will last seven days. I am one that preps ahead of time, generally on Sundays. Anything left by Saturday morning gets used up in a big stir fry for breakfast or into soup which is cooled and frozen for later.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    The freezer is definitely your friend here. I'm cooking for just myself 90% of the time, so when I do a big batch meal like chili, stew, pot roast, etc. I freeze portions so I have an extra 2 or 3 meals that I have ready to reheat when I'm pressed for time but still want real food. Or as something I can throw in the microwave at work and have for lunch as an alternative to the cafeteria.

I also travel quite a bit for work, so the freezer is also a good place to have a ready-made meal at home when I've just gotten off the plane and am tired, but really just want to get home and relax without having to worry about shopping for another day or so.

*note that some foods freeze/thaw/reheat better than others.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    I freeze stuff if I'm not going to use it "soon" but generally use the sniff test.

Yes it's fine to refreeze the cooked meat in terms of safety, and I can't see it harming the nutrition.
    sniff test x2
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

mavery is offline Junior Member
    I usually cook several big meals on the weekends, enjoy a little with the fam, and freeze the rest. so my freezer is full of individual portions of cooked meats, stews, etc.

very easy to just grab a couple portions in the morning on the way out the door, or even if you dont feel like cooking after work.

Thanks everyone for your input- I've had food poisoning a couple of times in the past so I guess I've been hyper-vigilant about such things. In saying that, both times have been from eating out and have involved rice, which apparently is one of the worst foods to keep warm. Whole family chucking on a 6hr drive home from Christchurch after eating in a mall food court!

Anyway, I've had a rummage and found lots of small containers with lids which will surely work better than dipping into one big dish daily. I've put the bone broth into jars in the freezer and am having a big cook-up today which will be divided up too.

And just to sure I've reduced the temperature in my fridge

Oh btw, can you successfully freeze chicken liver pate?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Seems anything stored while hot with a layer of hard fat on the top as it cools stays good indefinitely, weeks at least.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Seems anything stored while hot with a layer of hard fat on the top as it cools stays good indefinitely, weeks at least.
    Thanks, what sort of fat would you recommend? Would ghee be ok, I don't use lard and coconut oil is too pricey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast